better door detent location mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NM156

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered mine on Monday, received my package on Friday, and installed that night.

Total install time from taking my tools out to my truck then to clean up was about 2 hours and a couple of beers. The hardest part and why it took so long was I had to chase down my tools that ended up being used to dig up the garden. Then had to clean the chocolate milk out of my tool bag. Grab the screw driver out of a little hand that was about to carve his favorite scribble in my drivers door. Had to explain why daddy's truck was not a jungle gym and why its not nice to kick daddy in the head while he is working. After all that the real install time was less than 25 mins.

After reading the tips in this thread and getting a chuckle out of the included instructions I dove in. I started with the passenger's side first. I removed the glove box, kick panel, and side dash. I also unscrewed the fuse panel in the kick and removed the plastic cover behind it. It was the lower of the two plastic covers (below door wire harness) and not the one in the instructions. I also pulled the green harness out of the way. Then removed the 10mm on the frame side. Tide a string to the detent, then unscrewed the two 13mm and then pushed it into the door frame. Fell into my hand. I then tied the new detent onto the string and pull it up to the hole. I grabbed a needle nose pliers and pulled the detent through the opening and put a bolt on it. The detent got a caught in the wire harness in the frame but a little bump set it free. Put it all together and then did drivers side. I don't think you need string on this side but it's better to be safe then sorry. Pulled drivers side kick and the side dash piece out, then stuck my hand in to move the plastic cover just enough for the detent. It pulled through to the hole and I put the nuts and bolt on it Then buttoned it all up. I had to stick my head under the dash to get the plastic cover to sit correctly. The only thing I have to do is to get my torque wrench from my friend and torque the nuts and bolts.

Overall besides all the adventures with the kids, it was a fairly straight forward install and pretty quick. Especially the passengers side. No problems and I already love it. I'll check back in a few to give so final thoughts but I would recommend this upgrade for sure!

boarder1995

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did this this morning. Took about 30 min total. I don't have kids so I wasn't getting kicked in the head (above poster) and I knew where all my tools were. Followed the directions and all went well. Definitely use string. This allows you to pull back through the same path the new detents if you don't pull the string out.
Once installed, my wife walked by and tested the driver door and immediately commented MUCH BETTER! This is close to the best upgrade I've done.

just Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Popped these in today. Had to use two strings on the passenger side, one to pull the upper mounting bolt into position and one to pull the arm through the center hole as normal. A little more than 30 minutes due to that challenge, but worth the time. The middle stop is way better. Either way, purchased or dremel'd, an easy mod and one I will recommend to friends.

Bigeffr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought these a year and a half ago and they are still sitting in garage - you guys have inspired me. I have spent a lot of energy cursing at the doors when parking and should have installed a long time ago. I will install over weekend....THANKS!

Trail_Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished this mod and couldn't be happier. After reading all the horror stories about the install I was a little worried. But after 35 minutes I was finished, the instructions and posts definitely helped a lot.

boarder1995

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's an easy install. The string comments usually scare people, but ended up being quite an easy approach and helpful.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I installed these a couple months ago. Tim, I think you picked these up after I posted them on HARO.

Great mod, easy install. The only tough part I found was getting the plastic "plate" back the hole on the passenger's side. But I didn't remove the glove or anything like that. For those on the fence, I definitely recommend this mod.

schmitty

Reaction score
Ordered them and anxiously waiting for them to arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk