Better Braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrSkunks

Reaction score
I’m used to being able to stop on a dime with the previous cars I’ve owned and while I don’t expect that from the raptor, I feel like there is some room for improvement.

Rear rotors and pads must have been replaced recently as rotors look new and pad is still at like 11mm. Fronts look older but the rotors aren’t terrible. Pads also still have some life, like 8mm.

Would simply changing to some pads with more bite get me better braking? If so, what pads?

DennisSVT

Reaction score
I’m used to being able to stop on a dime with the previous cars I’ve owned and while I don’t expect that from the raptor, I feel like there is some room for improvement.

Rear rotors and pads must have been replaced recently as rotors look new and pad is still at like 11mm. Fronts look older but the rotors aren’t terrible. Pads also still have some life, like 8mm.

Would simply changing to some pads with more bite get me better braking? If so, what pads?
I think your better off getting a new brake kit all together with more pistons in in the callipers. I’ve got 37s on and ever since I’ve felt I have to add much more effort into braking. I’m looking into a better brake kit atm.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
keep in mind.....these brakes are designed for desert and off road running. the long pedal travel is by design......if you stand on them...they have plenty of stopping power.

too many people confuse these off road tuned brakes for being poor because they dont bite like their street car. When off roading and using left foot braking, you want a longer pedal travel for modulation.

OP
OP
MrSkunks

MrSkunks

Reaction score
keep in mind.....these brakes are designed for desert and off road running. the long pedal travel is by design......if you stand on them...they have plenty of stopping power.

too many people confuse these off road tuned brakes for being poor because they dont bite like their street car. When off roading and using left foot braking, you want a longer pedal travel for modulation.

That makes sense. So if I were to change pads and rotors, just stick with OEM?

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have heard good reports of people changing out the rubber lines to get better and quicker pedal feel.

There is no doubt you can get better biting pads over the oem’s.

If you run them same size diameter rotors, drilled or slotted can help with more extreme uses. Not sure a big difference would be realized otherwise. But then again rotors are cheap and plentiful today, so why not.

Sheeepdog18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
goblues38 and Richard is right. Those breaks are designed that way for a reason. If you want to stop on a dime, go get a Corvette or a Shelby Cobra! Then you could that one of those car to Moab and see what happens.

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While they might be tuned for desert racing, Ford has a history of poor braking performance on trucks, and have for many years. The biggest impact on braking feel would be stainless lines and high performance fluid, before pads and rotors.

19Stripper

Reaction score
Theres a video on youtube that tests the 1st gen, 2nd gen, and ranger raptor braking. Surprisingly the 2nd gen stopped WAY before the others, even the ranger raptor which weighs quite a bit less.

It's a learning curve. It isn't supposed to bite hard, but it will definitely lock them up if you put the pedal on the floor. (Found out from experience lol)

You can always buy a big brake kit and stop faster. Just doesnt seem necessary unless you're towing a lot or have bigger tires.