Better brake feel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The better pad do make a difference. I've had both R1 Concepts and PowerStop. Both stop better as compared to stock. Also, make sure you perform the breakin properly. My first set was not properly broken in, and they didn't stop for shit.

As for the BBK, do you have the money ($3-$6K) to spend? Yes, they do stop the truck better, but it is hard to justify the cost. I must say, however, that video from @Nick@Apollo-Optics is bad a$$! :GetMoney:

It really is a quality setup and improves the every day driving. The shop truck is my daily driver and I feel a lot more confident in traffic after the Alcon install than I did before the upgrade.

Tony Ferrugia

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with RackingBrake (RB) on their Gen2 or otherwise?

Looking to pull the trigger on a BBK for my Gen2 and these guys popped up as a last minute option to Wilwood, Alcon, and R1 Concepts.

Looks like they have cool "tech" (at least on paper)
- Concentric rotor vane design
- Center Mount rotor design (claim better airflow/cooling)
- Open hole slotted face vs. slotted or drilled.
- Iron ring inside alum rear rotor hat to give weight reduction but still work with OEM manual parking brake

Also appears they have put the extra cost in to the product to make it more durable
- Integrated Piston Dust seals vs. slap on boots or no dust seals at all on others
- True hard anodized caliper finish option vs. painted, powder coated or std anodized
- High carbon rotors with claim of Brinell hardness of 185-215 (much harder than others = better wear life and damage resistance)
- Pad springs to minimize pad movement and noise

Looks like these guys have been a playing in the BMW, Porsche, and Nissan GTR game for awhile with many good posts about solid performance on road and with light-med track duty (track days). Similar to R1.

Big question is that cool tech (especially on paper) does not always directly correlate to great implementation.

My thought/hope is that this could be a nice fit between a very purpose built off-road kit like Alcon, and some of the other more road-centric kits like R1 (my opinion only) offering a nice compromise between bigger wheel/rotor options and a more durable design that can hold up to some off-road use.

Spoke to RB briefly and they are pitching a 390mm (6piston) front, and 380mm (4 position) rear kit. Kit seems new... very new :-/

Again it is all in the implementation... you can have a bunch of cool components but that does not make a Gen2 Raptor BBK that will be easy to install and work reliably on a 6,000 pound brick with 20" wheels, big heavy 35" tires, high center of gravity, and a lot more HP now after a tune (slightly different than a BMW 3series on track day).

Anybody with any real experience with RB? Not sure I want to be the Raptor Guinea Pig (at least without some assurance of a positive outcome), but the promise of what it "could deliver" has my attention.

Thanks

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with RackingBrake (RB) on their Gen2 or otherwise?

Looking to pull the trigger on a BBK for my Gen2 and these guys popped up as a last minute option to Wilwood, Alcon, and R1 Concepts.

Looks like they have cool "tech" (at least on paper)
- Concentric rotor vane design
- Center Mount rotor design (claim better airflow/cooling)
- Open hole slotted face vs. slotted or drilled.
- Iron ring inside alum rear rotor hat to give weight reduction but still work with OEM manual parking brake

Also appears they have put the extra cost in to the product to make it more durable
- Integrated Piston Dust seals vs. slap on boots or no dust seals at all on others
- True hard anodized caliper finish option vs. painted, powder coated or std anodized
- High carbon rotors with claim of Brinell hardness of 185-215 (much harder than others = better wear life and damage resistance)
- Pad springs to minimize pad movement and noise

Looks like these guys have been a playing in the BMW, Porsche, and Nissan GTR game for awhile with many good posts about solid performance on road and with light-med track duty (track days). Similar to R1.

Big question is that cool tech (especially on paper) does not always directly correlate to great implementation.

My thought/hope is that this could be a nice fit between a very purpose built off-road kit like Alcon, and some of the other more road-centric kits like R1 (my opinion only) offering a nice compromise between bigger wheel/rotor options and a more durable design that can hold up to some off-road use.

Spoke to RB briefly and they are pitching a 390mm (6piston) front, and 380mm (4 position) rear kit. Kit seems new... very new :-/

Again it is all in the implementation... you can have a bunch of cool components but that does not make a Gen2 Raptor BBK that will be easy to install and work reliably on a 6,000 pound brick with 20" wheels, big heavy 35" tires, high center of gravity, and a lot more HP now after a tune (slightly different than a BMW 3series on track day).

Anybody with any real experience with RB? Not sure I want to be the Raptor Guinea Pig (at least without some assurance of a positive outcome), but the promise of what it "could deliver" has my attention.

Thanks

RB makes good shit. I have not personally used their stuff but I have many friends that have. Their rotors are possibly the best rotors I've seen. They use a super hard/strong steel that lasts a very long time. After multiple track days rotors show barely any wear. RB is at the top of my list actually for the Raptor, I know they make replacement rotors but didn't realize they had a full kit. Anyway, IMO they produce quality stuff.