Best Winter Tires for Gen2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah lots of folks getting fresh ones before winter I bet. Probably hadn’t sold much in the last 2 years since folks drove a heck of a lot less in 2020 and half of 2021

Mylife98

Reaction score
Live in high desert 4 corners and San Juan mountains area. K02s for the sand and dirt trails in summer, Duratracs (not studded) for winter in mostly snow not ice.

KO2s did ok in winter, but traction was a significantly better in the snow and on cold wet roads with the Duratracs: softer more winter compound on the Duratracs? They seem to maintain a ‘softer and still moving around rubber’ feel to them when driving on cold roads vs the KO2s hardened up and the tread became stiff and hard. The Duras hence seemed to maintain better on road traction on the cold wet slushy roads. Nothing scientific here, just my experience personal observations from driving and getting out and feeling the tires mid drive.

Duratracs also rides ‘softer’ than the KO2: not quite as firm or responsive on a dry road. Softer or less structured side wall maybe? But that plays better off road giving a silkier ride at speed on oil field roads and running sand river beds. Duratracs also provided an uplift in traction in soft stuff like loose sand.

Ended up just staying with Duratracs year round: the increased traction and softer ride out weighted the ‘sporty feel’ the KO2s provided on road.

Photos for legitimacy and because my girl looks cool in the snow :)

A7AC5E0B-3F02-4516-8571-0224BA6F52E0.jpeg31343F98-D298-46C2-8C69-CD9F90A55032.jpegC86DCC74-C7AD-4FAC-89F8-99A65E994BF3.jpeg0A6B2834-9804-4828-B675-F2D313BCD323.jpeg

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Live in high desert 4 corners and San Juan mountains area. K02s for the sand and dirt trails in summer, Duratracs (not studded) for winter in mostly snow not ice.

KO2s did ok in winter, but traction was a significantly better in the snow and on cold wet roads with the Duratracs: softer more winter compound on the Duratracs? They seem to maintain a ‘softer and still moving around rubber’ feel to them when driving on cold roads vs the KO2s hardened up and the tread became stiff and hard. The Duras hence seemed to maintain better on road traction on the cold wet slushy roads. Nothing scientific here, just my experience personal observations from driving and getting out and feeling the tires mid drive.

Duratracs also rides ‘softer’ than the KO2: not quite as firm or responsive on a dry road. Softer or less structured side wall maybe? But that plays better off road giving a silkier ride at speed on oil field roads and running sand river beds. Duratracs also provided an uplift in traction in soft stuff like loose sand.

Ended up just staying with Duratracs year round: the increased traction and softer ride out weighted the ‘sporty feel’ the KO2s provided on road.

Photos for legitimacy and because my girl looks cool in the snow :)

View attachment 374204View attachment 374205View attachment 374206View attachment 374207
I agree with a this but the dura trak is significantly louder than ko2 after 15k on them. Like so bad i had to ditch a set because the drove me nuts. I had them in 35 . But yea the rest of what u mentioned I can agree with.

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Nokian hakkapeliitta LT3 are the only actual winter tires they make in the stock tire size.

Big fan of this company. Once i find some cheap steelies or cheap wheels that fit ill be running these in the winter.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I ran Duratracs on my 2017. But they were load range D so the ride was a little stiffer than my load range C KO2s.

SAM_0711.JPG

Mylife98

Reaction score
Big fan of this company. Once i find some cheap steelies or cheap wheels that fit ill be running these in the winter.
Thanks for this, wasn't aware of this tire - have been looking for a dedicated snow tire for the raptor for ages but Bridestone don't do the Blizzak DM-V2 in our 315/70-17 size. Nokian apparently do :)
Will source it and see if I can get it for winter season.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Just installed some Hankooks on the OBS for winter driving. Non studded. We will see if I need to run chains or not.

20221003_102722.jpg

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The best winter tires for the Raptor (drum roll please) - SNOW TIRES!!!!! Wow would’ve guessed!?!? Lol

Nokian hakkpeliita or whatever they call em, studdable, not overly heavy, & in the factory 315/70R17 size

I’m not going to respond to “but this MT or that AT” - it’s a pointless convo, snow tires >>>>> ANY other tire in below freezing temps & ice/snow.

It’s like having a debate over what’s better in the 1/4 mile DRs/slicks or “high performance summer only” tires. Waste of breath.

If you want to debate what all terrain, mud terrain, or all season tire performs the best in the snow for the category of tire for use year round, that’s a different convo