Best way to upgrade B&O stock system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nhdeadhead

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I’ve got a 2020 802A with the B&O system and havnt been too impressed with the sound quality. I test drove a different 2020 with the same system when I was in the process of finding one to buy and thought it was pretty sweet but the truck I ended up with has me yearning for more. When I took it to my local audio installer they said the lowest price to upgrade was $2500 and that the system is “Junk” because it’s just Ford’s equipment with the B&O logo.

How do I get the best bang for my buck out of this system? I’d like clear vocals and decent bass for when I’m in a thumping’ mood. I’ve tried adjusting the default settings with not much satisfaction. The bass isn’t horrible when cranked up but It becomes distorted and I don’t want to do any harm to the system.

Is the system junk or is it just my truck? Is there anything I can do to improve it without breaking the bank… and do myself?

Forgive me if this has been asked before but I’d appreciate any input

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The Sony in the ’17 could be updated one piece at a time, but the B&O is a bunch different and doesn’t take well to step by step mods. 2500 all in is not a bad price actually.

Junk is relative, there are a lot of guys on here happy with the b&o but the installer is right, the components are very cheaply made. You can do it yourself - paging @goblues38 ... maybe save some $$$ but it will be more work and some frustration.

MTI makes a behind the seat sub enclosure, and under the rear seat enclosures are easy to come by. I paid I think 900 for the amp, sub and enclosure from MTI - 450w x 1 10”.

Did a 75w x 4 main amp and components speakers. I use a different signal processor than the ’18 and up Raptors- the name escapes me here but it’s a few hundred bucks on its own and totally necessary to retain the factory head unit.

I know it sounds like a lot, but, if you try to penny pinch the audio, you won’t be happy with the outcome and you’ll have to spend more to fix it.

Using the @goblues38 standard - I can clearly hear the music at 70mph with all windows down and moon roof opened now.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rest assured the system is junk. That's my personal opinion but there are many people who don't "crank" that listen to say country music or podcasts. You can get away with $2500 but that's pushing it for what you are looking for. You have to have an interface to go from the stock head unit to the amplifiers. If you go with the Zen Module which is the easiest to incorporate it's nearly a grand by itself. You may be able to find cheaper interfaces though. Once you have done that you need to replace your front mids and highs, rear mids, add a sub w/enclosure and then your amps. Once you add wire and all cables you are up there easy. I'd like to know more about what you are getting for $2500. I'll give you an estimate of a basic system that could be tailored higher or lower.

Interface if using Zen Module just under $1000 with wiring adaptor
Front Component Set...6.5's w/mounting bracket and tweeters $150-$350
Rear Coaxial $250
Sub Enclosure $200-$1350
Subs $150-$1400(One sub? 4 Subs?)
Amp for highs/mids $400
Amp for subs $500
DSP $200
Installation? Tuning? Could run thousands for this install.
You could literally go 1000 ways with a system for our trucks and cost could be a little less or much much more. This is assuming you are using smaller amps that do not require a bigger alternator, bigger cables, or Lithium batteries.

Hush Car Audio is a forum vendor and great to deal with.

Good sight to check out.

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with the b&o system, the only way to go is the nav tv zen module. but you have to upgrade all at once since the zen removes the oem amp fro the system. after that, you can do what you want to the system, as the zen module gives rca outputs for front rear and sub.

Hush Car Audio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see that parts list from that shop for only $2500. The Zen unit alone retails for $720. The rest of the gear must be really low end since most shops charge around $1500-2000 for a full install job. Keep in mind that you'll most likely want to add in sound deadening at the same time. Feel free to send me an email to [email protected] or PM me here. I'll help you get setup with a great system using great parts for cheaper than anyone online.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
YEah...$2500 is going to be tough if you have to pay someone to do your labor. I was able to do it because I did all my own labor. $1,000 is not out of the question in labor savings.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my build is here. Also, keep in mind...back in 2018, I think I was ONE the 1st guys to do a full upgrade of the B&O system. I am sure there are some guys who have done it better, but we were blazing new trails. And as stated.....I wasn't looking for a show system. I just needed great sound quality and volume to roll on the highway with the top and windows all open.

GOAL accomplished.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my build is here. Also, keep in mind...back in 2018, I think I was ONE the 1st guys to do a full upgrade of the B&O system. I am sure there are some guys who have done it better, but we were blazing new trails. And as stated.....I wasn't looking for a show system. I just needed great sound quality and volume to roll on the highway with the top and windows all open.

GOAL accomplished.

Read the thread, nice build! I liked the improvised tweeter adaptors, and I think they will be just fine, lol. I don't agree with the one 12" is enough bass..hahaha. 90% done with my build and will make a thread then...if it ever is done. Running more power than most people which starts to add to cost real quick.

JDZ

Reaction score
If you want decent and even great sound, you must upgrade the stock system which are cheap, small magnet, paper cone speakers running on minimal power. B&O labeling is a joke. You have to use Zen A2B module to integrate new amplifiers, and if you want to tune sound properly you will need a DSP and sound treatments for the doors. Then the price varies greatly subject to the level of stereo components to create a system that makes you happy.

There are plenty of pre-made custom Raptor F150 speaker and amplifier mounting components and do it yourself videos available from expert installers such as https://soundsgoodstereo.com/.

Because I am a music nerd I chose to do a best of best Focal Utopia high end system in my 2020 Raptor and installed everything myself including sound deadening and it was not that difficult, but also not cheap to do it right. End result was amazing sound that takes the truck to the next level and my wife wondering what I am doing sitting alone in my Raptor in the garage on too many occasions. No regrets. Good luck.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you want decent and even great sound, you must upgrade the stock system which are cheap, small magnet, paper cone speakers running on minimal power. B&O labeling is a joke.

Going to disagree here.

The speakers (yes they are cheap paper cones) are not the weak link. The amp is. the B&P amp is maybe delivering 8 watts of power per channel. Nothing makes a system sound worse then too little power. It is what sends square waves (distortion) to speakers.

I hooked up the stock door speakers to my new amp one night, and they did not sound bad. Got loud.

Point is. Adding new speakers to the B&) amp is a complete waste of money.