Best way to improve the street ride quality of a 2019 raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hankfd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s up everyone. I’m a newbie here I’ve been lurking around for a few months trying to gain some knowledge on the raptors. I put up a post a few months ago about the ride quality of the raptor. I went back and forth in my head whether or not to buy one of these truck and I finally decided to go for it. I’ll be picking up my 2019 velocity blue raptor on Tuesday I can’t wait. I’m already looking at things to do to it. I had concerns in the test drive it seemed a bit bouncy or jittery in the rear, my question to you experts is what’s the best way to improve the street ride of this truck? I was thinking a set of Geisers and icons would give it a much better street ride. Would I be correct in thinking that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I won’t be doing to much off roading living in NY on Long Island.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah mine was delivered at 40 and the ride was not good on the way home. I run at 36F/34R cold. Much better.

Marcus85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you're in the Gen 1 section you should trade it in for Gen 1. Gen 1 out performs Gen 2 anyway in every category, including gas mileage.

OP
OP
H

Hankfd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you're in the Gen 1 section you should trade it in for Gen 1. Gen 1 out performs Gen 2 anyway in every category, including gas mileage.
Ha yea I accidentally put it in the wrong section.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’d suggest

1) drive it.
2) adjust tire pressures accordingly. If you drive “somewhat aggressively” on the street, especially in curves, be judicious. try to get the air in the rear to best balance point. You need the sidewalls firm enough to not ‘roll over’ in a corner, yet still be compliant over bumps. 38 PSI works great up front on the street. Not so much for an empty bed Rap. I’ve seen guys suggest as low as 32, I’ve been ok down to about 35 but have not really had a need to push much lower than that. The only thing you need to be concerned about is if you’re going to load up the rear with cargo and you’d need to air up. Airing up 35’s can take a while.
3) drive some more

As you drive and get used to the way the truck handles, you’ll adapt to it pretty quickly. The Raptor works best off road, where it’s really at the limits of available traction and over terrain that uses the suspension. You’d appreciate it much more in that element and as you’ve observed already that capability comes at the expense of some street manners, due in large part to the ancient rear suspension design. It’s a truck, not a euro-trash, yuppie mobile.

Once you’re used to the quirks, and just let the truck do it’s thing, you’ll be fine.

Don’t go throwing parts at it first thing. At least drive it long enough to get a feel for it before you mod anything. Otherwise, how do you know you’ve really improved what you modified?

good luck

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tire pressure makes a night a day difference in the way it drives.

I have been running it for over a year with 38 psi all around.

Finally decided to change to 38F 34R. Feels like a different vehicle-planted and tires are quieter now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hankfd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d suggest

1) drive it.
2) adjust tire pressures accordingly. If you drive “somewhat aggressively” on the street, especially in curves, be judicious. try to get the air in the rear to best balance point. You need the sidewalls firm enough to not ‘roll over’ in a corner, yet still be compliant over bumps. 38 PSI works great up front on the street. Not so much for an empty bed Rap. I’ve seen guys suggest as low as 32, I’ve been ok down to about 35 but have not really had a need to push much lower than that. The only thing you need to be concerned about is if you’re going to load up the rear with cargo and you’d need to air up. Airing up 35’s can take a while.
3) drive some more

As you drive and get used to the way the truck handles, you’ll adapt to it pretty quickly. The Raptor works best off road, where it’s really at the limits of available traction and over terrain that uses the suspension. You’d appreciate it much more in that element and as you’ve observed already that capability comes at the expense of some street manners, due in large part to the ancient rear suspension design. It’s a truck, not a euro-trash, yuppie mobile.

Once you’re used to the quirks, and just let the truck do it’s thing, you’ll be fine.

Don’t go throwing parts at it first thing. At least drive it long enough to get a feel for it before you mod anything. Otherwise, how do you know you’ve really improved what you modified?

good luck