Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Best way to clean the shocks

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by JustRaptor1, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Halo Raptor

Halo Raptor Full Access Member

its 2020, maybe a little of both.....Dont ask dont tell...lol.. No its this clear bottle with pink cleaner liquid for cleaning mountain bikes. Spray on, leave for a few then wet and brush off. Cleans dirt road and grime off pretty good.

Dhowell likes this.
  2. CHMP

CHMP Full Access Member

3. Raptor Vet

Raptor Vet Full Access Member

Just google "clear bottle with pink cleaner liquid"....lol

4. REMIX

REMIX Full Access Member

Purple cleaner for $5 at WalMart, pressure washer and a brush with some soap. Front ones are bit more difficult to get to.

5. allinon72

allinon72 Full Access Member

I don’t see a need for such harsh chemicals...I’d be worried about pitting or etching the anodizing/aluminum. Why not just spray them off?

6. Nesc204

Nesc204 Full Access Member

Simple Green full strength and rinse off. If really caked on grime I'll use a pressure washer with simple Green but DO NOT aim down on top of struts or up on shocks where the piston slides or you will damage the Seal then your shocks will Leak

7. Troutrad

Troutrad Full Access Member

Like Allinon72, I had some ceramic product left over after a couple coats on my rig (Avalon King was my choice). Very little product will take care of your shocks for a long time. They spray off so much easier.

8. D11gnccer

D11gnccer Member

I had planned on IronX or an APC, I am currently using meguires d101 diluted to various strengths for tires and wheels. Honestly though, I’ve not had a chance to drive mine to need to clean them. 3200 miles in 11 months of ownership. :(

Once you do clean them, you might look for a product like McKees hydro blue or Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant.

9. Oldfart

Oldfart Full Access Member

You beat me to it. I was just going to say, be careful of the seals with a pressure washer. Guys damage their seals all the time on motorcycles from getting too aggressive around the seals with a pressure washer. You can drive the dirt into the seals and the grit will destroy them. Riders see the mechanics at races hammering on bikes with a pressure washer and they forget that those same mechanics will be replacing and rebuilding everything a day later.