Best Way/Place to Sell Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
csr18

csr18

Reaction score
Shop around. The difference between the lowest, Carmax, on my '17 Z07 Corvette and highest, the Chevy dealer, was 14K. Honestly I had to stare at the number for a sec. Saved a bunch on taxes because KY only charges sales tax on the trade difference. 2022 C8 ordered in early December, delivery scheduled end of February.
What's up with Fords lead time?
That difference is huge! I need to look into my states sales tax. Just not sure if it would work for me or how it would. I'm in Nevada and my dealer is in Ohio.

OP
OP
csr18

csr18

Reaction score
This is really a pretty situational question. I have had good success selling vehicles privately, but those were mostly more heavily modified performance cars (Corvettes, GTOs, etc). I have also had success selling to Carmax - I recently got $5k more from them ($40k) than any other dealer would offer on my wife's Explorer. The dealer offers were $35k, so even in Texas with the tax credits of 6.25%, I still netted an extra $2,812.50 by selling to Carmax (over trading it in to the dealer).

I traded my '21 Raptor when I got rid of it because the Ford dealer offered me a fair value, and then I saved all the sales tax on my Tremor ($3,768 in tax savings). So the questions for you are: what are the tax laws in your state - is there a savings by trading? In some states, the answer to that is no. And secondly, will your dealer offer you a fair trade value based on the market and not what you paid? For instance, if you paid MSRP, would they offer you more than that in trade? Some dealers just can't bring themselves to do that, but the current market on a '21 Raptor IS more than MSRP.
True that it's a situational question. I will need to look into the tax laws in my state and my dealers. I am in Nevada and my dealer is in Ohio. That's another reason I think it might not work for me to trade in being that far away. I would either add more miles onto the truck doing so or spend quite a bit getting it shipped there. So the trade would have to be pretty enticing. Will need to talk to the dealer about that as well. He did say we can discuss more options as we get closer. If carmax gives a good offer, that might just be the easiest route, but it will depend on the tax laws still for it to make sense. Thank you!

OP
OP
csr18

csr18

Reaction score
Why would that not be your first mode of attack? Seems you have a positive relationship with your dealer and could lead to the best result. Why was this not discussed at the time of your 2nd order?
I will need to look into the tax laws in my state and my dealers. I am in Nevada and my dealer is in Ohio. That's why I'm thinking it might not work for me to trade in being that far away. I would either add more miles onto the truck doing so or spend quite a bit getting it shipped there. So the trade would have to be pretty enticing. Will need to talk to the dealer about that as well. He did say we can discuss more options as we get closer. If carmax gives a good offer, that might just be the easiest route, but it will depend on the tax laws still for it to make sense. Thank you!

Remi_

Reaction score
Would you be willing to try an online auction? If so, I'd recommend CarsAndBids.com. Raptors usually do pretty well there.

V8 Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for your reference, since values are all over the place, I got $83k for my 2021 with 9,900 miles on it. It was an 801A in Agate Black with Carbon Fiber, Pano, and Graphics (removed before trading). MSRP was $75,555 which is exactly what I paid, so I'd say I came out okay.

lardog

Reaction score
Depends on what state you live in. In Texas you get credit for the trade in, and the trade in credit reduces the sales tax owed on the new vehicle sales tax. Many time it works out must better to trade in that to sell private party.

Jake226

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That difference is huge! I need to look into my states sales tax. Just not sure if it would work for me or how it would. I'm in Nevada and my dealer is in Ohio.
AFAIK, The sales tax depends on the state you live in, not the state you purchase. For me, in Indiana, our 7% sales tax is only charged on the difference. I have purchased and traded in trucks/suvs in Arkansas, Kentucky, and a few in Pennsylvania. Always taxed by Indiana's tax laws... usually they just have me settle up at my license branch when I get back home and register the vehicle. On two occasions the seller collected my Indiana sales tax and settled with my state for me.

If the dealership is making you a fair offer, and not far off from others, then I'd work with them. Could help both of you out a bit if you have interest in continuing to have long term business with them.

OP
OP
csr18

csr18

Reaction score
Just for your reference, since values are all over the place, I got $83k for my 2021 with 9,900 miles on it. It was an 801A in Agate Black with Carbon Fiber, Pano, and Graphics (removed before trading). MSRP was $75,555 which is exactly what I paid, so I'd say I came out okay.
Wow that's awesome! Congrats! I've got pretty much the same options plus the beadlock wheels and anitmatter blue! Im just under 7000 miles right now. Did you sell to one of the companies like carmax? or private party?