Best Trails @ Anza Borrego?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m heading to Anza Borrego for the first time tomorrow. I’m looking for trail recommendations. I’ll have my family in the truck, and looking to have some fun and see some cool sights without going crazy. I’d like to ease my wife and kids into this whole off roading thing. We plan to be in the park for about 3-4 hours. I'd love some advice on some of the must see/must do trails I should look to hit first?

thanks!

Last edited:

Hasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend stopping by the visitor center and picking up a map, it’s a few bucks. My usual loop for first timers is Fonts Point (awesome view) on the way back out take a right on Short Wash take it down and turn right onto Palo Verde Wash, turn right onto Cut-Across Trail follow that across San Felipe wash and continue south on Buttes Pass Road. This will take you by Hawk Canyon and the Slot which are both good sight seeing if not too busy. From here continue south another mile to Highway 78. I would expect it might be quite muddy still so be prepared.

https://www.ca.gov/pages/638/files/abdsp_Park_Map201704.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SCMike

SCMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend stopping by the visitor center and picking up a map, it’s a few bucks. My usual loop for first timers is Fonts Point (awesome view) on the way back out take a right on Short Wash take it down and turn right onto Palo Verde Wash, turn right onto Cut-Across Trail follow that across San Felipe wash and continue south on Buttes Pass Road. This will take you by Hawk Canyon and the Slot which are both good sight seeing if not too busy. From here continue south another mile to Highway 78. I would expect it might be quite muddy still so be prepared.

https://www.ca.gov/pages/638/files/abdsp_Park_Map201704.pdf

thanks @Hasty ! Tomorrow should be fun. I took your suggestion and added the pumpkin patch as well. Hopefully we have enough time to explore all three trails. If not, it will be a great excuse to go back.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure most of you guys, with the exception of @Oldfart can easily recall what you just went in the pantry from the kitchen for. Just you wait. :lol:

But one thing I do recall is about 45 years ago a friend of mine hitchhiked from NY to California, when it was relatively safe to do so. He called me and said he was in the Anza Borrego desert. He also visited Cardiff by the Sea.

I don't know why, but those two names/places have been seared into my memory ever since. I've yet to visit either.

Be sure to post pics. And enjoy.

Last edited:

Hasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks @Hasty ! Tomorrow should be fun. I took your suggestion and added the pumpkin patch as well. Hopefully we have enough time to explore all three trails. If not, it will be a great excuse to go back.

Awesome, have fun! Something to be aware of is that Ocotillo Wells has some fairly decent whoop sections, I would recommend taking the washes to get there. Cut Across Trail heading East is extremely rough and slow going.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Just go cruise around the state park. Check out blowsand and the mud hills. Supper muddy out there yesterday so be safe. Don’t forget to lower the tires down to 25 front 22 back.