Best tonneau cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Admin.RealTruck

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am interested in knowing the weight difference between the DB HD and the Retrax. I bet it is significant and the Raptor already has a low payload rating.
The shipping weight of the RetraxPro XR is 90 lbs
Where the Diamondback HD is 160 lbs

OP
OP
ganooch

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a fairly significant difference. End of the day, I am just liking the bed access from the Retrax better as well.

Honeybadger_Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find it funny everyone gets stuck on the fact the Raptor has a payload capacity they need to worry about for accessories and hauling family and luggage around.... It's not like every other model of F-150 does not also have a payload capacity to deal with... It just is more variable depending on setup and options. Hell the max 3325lb payload capacity rating is only achieved with a regular cab 4x2 8ft bed and 5.0 engine, and no one ehre seems to be talking up their purchase of that model set up. So unless you're planning on getting just the right setup you're going to have to deal with payload capacities regardless of which truck you get.

OP
OP
ganooch

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find it funny everyone gets stuck on the fact the Raptor has a payload capacity they need to worry about for accessories and hauling family and luggage around.... It's not like every other model of F-150 does not also have a payload capacity to deal with... It just is more variable depending on setup and options. Hell the max 3325lb payload capacity rating is only achieved with a regular cab 4x2 8ft bed and 5.0 engine, and no one ehre seems to be talking up their purchase of that model set up. So unless you're planning on getting just the right setup you're going to have to deal with payload capacities regardless of which truck you get.
Feel like we are saying the same thing though. I like to haul a lot of gear. I would rather have a cover that doesn't use as much of the available payload so I can haul more gear. You say every other model of F-150 has a payload capacity to deal with, but what you don't mention is that every other model of F-150 has a higher payload capacity than the Raptor.

I know what you are going to say next, so you can save it. If I want to haul a lot of gear, then maybe the Raptor isn't for me. Blah, blah, blah...

Honeybadger_Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Feel like we are saying the same thing though. I like to haul a lot of gear. I would rather have a cover that doesn't use as much of the available payload so I can haul more gear. You say every other model of F-150 has a payload capacity to deal with, but what you don't mention is that every other model of F-150 has a higher payload capacity than the Raptor.

I know what you are going to say next, so you can save it. If I want to haul a lot of gear, then maybe the Raptor isn't for me. Blah, blah, blah...
nope, all i would say is...Haul yer gear, just don't go too buck wild. I'd like an engineers input from the suspension team as to whether the payload capacity is much like every other strength limit placed on items... 75% of real max for safety.

OP
OP
ganooch

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope, all i would say is...Haul yer gear, just don't go too buck wild. I'd like an engineers input from the suspension team as to whether the payload capacity is much like every other strength limit placed on items... 75% of real max for safety.
You know they sandbag a bit, but when you load the bed of a Raptor, she's sagging.

Honeybadger_Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know they sandbag a bit, but when you load the bed of a Raptor, she's sagging.
This will be my first Raptor, and first truck ever actually so haven't experienced it, though I don't usually haul that much weight. But you know... better the Raptor saggin a$$ than momma's T!ts :laughing1:

OP
OP
ganooch

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This will be my first Raptor, and first truck ever actually so haven't experienced it, though I don't usually haul that much weight. But you know... better the Raptor saggin *** than momma's T|ts :laughing1:
Lol, my first Raptor as well. I am concerned with the 5 link rear coils. Wonder if they are better or worse for bed payload than the outgoing leaf springs.

I plan on towing my motorcycle at times and loading the bed with camping gear and bike gear. I am not going to go crazy, but I imagine even approaching the payload capacity is going to affect the ride. Therefore, I am going with a cover that isn't 160 pounds.

Honeybadger_Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, my first Raptor as well. I am concerned with the 5 link rear coils. Wonder if they are better or worse for bed payload than the outgoing leaf springs.

I plan on towing my motorcycle at times and loading the bed with camping gear and bike gear. I am not going to go crazy, but I imagine even approaching the payload capacity is going to affect the ride. Therefore, I am going with a cover that isn't 160 pounds.
I gather the ride and everything else would be better, And I too am going with the Retrax, RetraxPRO XR