Best tonneau cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ganooch

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is wrong with the Factory option?
I think if the factory provides such an option, why not take it and rather spend the time on searching some actually good looking 37s :D

View attachment 180140
I don't want it to hold up my build. Also, from past experience, what you can get from the aftermarket normally exceeds what the factory offers. I am sure that the factory one is great, but there are some other cool ones out there.

Right now I am eyeing that Retrax Pro series...

Admin.RealTruck

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@ganooch

We try to always keep these covers in stock ready to ship, we have two warehouses, one in Jasper Indiana the other in Springfield Missouri.
Being that we own these covers you will not find this cover cheaper than what I can offer. We have the best price guarantee, especially for our forum members. Simply put if my price is not the lowest you have received send me proof of quote and I will see what I can do!

If there is any other item on our site you are interested in, let me know, and ill see what I can do!

Just for example for the mx4
As of 1:45 PM EST 6/24/21
2nd Gen - 221 in stock ready to ship
3rd Gen - 55 in stock ready to ship
In stock will ship either same day or next day and depending on where you are located will take 2-5 days to get to you

albuht813

Reaction score
I will be purchasing the BAK X4S cover. Lots of good improvements over the previous version. Here's my logic based on my preferences:
1. I don't find myself needing the bed to be partially open. it will be either 100% open or closed
2. I want the tailgate to be closed at all times
3. I want to have the flexibility of using all my bedspace. I've seen the Retrax and that box is bigger than you think especially with respect to the shrunken bed because of the SCREW. I mainly mountain bike and with 4 DH bikes and gear - it gets very limited with space!
4. It also gives me use of my rear window and doesn't completely block the view

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used the Undercover Flex on my last 3 trucks. Nearly identical design to Bakflip, but without it touching the cab. I has struts to hold it away from the cab when all three panels are up.
The undercover flex ultra is linex coated on the top. This is what I use on my 2020 and will be transferred to the new 2021 when it arrives.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No such thing as “best” - depends what you’re using it for, in terms of considerations here’s where I’d place priorities:

water/weather tightness

Ease of “installation” & how quickly can be removed & re-installed (most important when discussing tonneaus that don’t provide complete access like a tri-fold)

Security/durability- soft roll-up vs a hard tri-fold vs a solid cap type w/ a legit locking mechanism

does the tonneau utilize the trucks rails (usually more waterproof & still allows using bedsides as “seats” or grab handles) vs ones that incorporate their own tracks (typically less watertight, not usually ideal to sit on or put any weight on & need to be careful about cargo smashing into the rails damaging them- upside I guess these ones are usually more low profile)

looks/aesthetics

see a lot of people recommending the bakflip type....I’ve had one previously on a GMC truck- they look cool, some of em are more durable/secure than others that use composite aluminum/plastic panels- my experiences was such: they aren’t weathertight, period. The inner rails are fragile & awkward to use for sitting, the drainage tubes don’t always drain & if/when they get clogged smell like ass (easy fix w/ some bleach/water mix or simple green & hot water- but worth mentioning), & on mine the horizontal weatherstripping in between the panels began to delaminate/disintegrate over prolonged use.

I always recommend the advantage hard hat tri-fold B/c it’s super easy to remove & install even tho tri-fold, durable, waterproof, pretty secure & w/ a locking tailgate can be made so tight you’d need a sawz-all &/or pry bar to break into (this is from first hand experience when I had to get into the bed of my then totaled GMC @ tow yard to remove tools etc from bed)

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I always recommend the advantage hard hat tri-fold B/c it’s super easy to remove & install even tho tri-fold, durable, waterproof, pretty secure & w/ a locking tailgate can be made so tight you’d need a sawz-all &/or pry bar to break into (this is from first hand experience when I had to get into the bed of my then totaled GMC @ tow yard to remove tools etc from bed)
I took this advice and have been very happy. Is it the "best"? No, it's relatively inexpensive and average looking. But I wanted easy on/off, decently secure, light weight, waterproof, and without tracks. It ticked all the boxes for about $600 ... for me it was the best as in best meeting my needs. The price was a nice bonus.

Vintage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want it to hold up my build. Also, from past experience, what you can get from the aftermarket normally exceeds what the factory offers. I am sure that the factory one is great, but there are some other cool ones out there.

Right now I am eyeing that Retrax Pro series...
FYI, the factory is the Retrax Pro. If you search on this forum alot of guys that have the factory said it's made by Retrax Pro. Ford just brands it with their own logo.. That's one of the reasons I went with Factory. Plus if the factory installs it it's covered under bumper to bumper warranty.