Best sounding CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonga3

Reaction score
The more open style intakes will give you the most volume, however, the open intake is more exposed to water and debris.

The AFE Magnum Force will be the loudest intake on the market with a good chunk of turbo whistle.

Just a reminder, some CAIs require a tune to not have a CEL. Whipple and COBB both require a tune.

If anyone is looking for a COBB CAI or wants to go with the COBB Stage 1+ Kit, please reach out as we have them readily available.

Additionally, we have an array of other intakes in stock as well.

I was under the impression the COBB did not require a tune on the 2018's. Is that correct?

Raptor-FTW

Reaction score
I was under the impression the COBB did not require a tune on the 2018's. Is that correct?
Per COBB, the 2017s had a stock tune that was slightly less compliant with aftermarket intakes versus the 2018s (which they base their stock map off of). I ran the Roush intake prior to getting my Accessport and COBB one and never had issues, but that may be a lucky anomaly.

As for the people asking how I like my COBB intake, its slightly louder than stock and seems to be working well with my stage 1 AP map. I never had any expectations it (or any other intake) would make a big difference until paired with a variety of further engine upgrades. I look forward to the new COBB intercooler and possibly the downpipe.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Per COBB, the 2017s had a stock tune that was slightly less compliant with aftermarket intakes versus the 2018s (which they base their stock map off of). I ran the Roush intake prior to getting my Accessport and COBB one and never had issues, but that may be a lucky anomaly.

Appreciate your input here, this is the first I’d heard of this for the 2017 vs 2018 trucks.

Anarchy99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more open style intakes will give you the most volume, however, the open intake is more exposed to water and debris.

The AFE Magnum Force will be the loudest intake on the market with a good chunk of turbo whistle.

Just a reminder, some CAIs require a tune to not have a CEL. Whipple and COBB both require a tune.

If anyone is looking for a COBB CAI or wants to go with the COBB Stage 1+ Kit, please reach out as we have them readily available.

Additionally, we have an array of other intakes in stock as well.

Would you say that louder isn't better in their design or is it all about that same? It looks like it would be fine compared to the others on the market.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Would you say that louder isn't better in their design or is it all about that same? It looks like it would be fine compared to the others on the market.

I mentioned a few different companies in my previous post; can you clarify which intake you were referring to?

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ah my bad man, the AFE magnum force, the one you said is the loudest on the market.

AFE uses a mix of performance and “bling” on their intakes. For example, the Magnum Force Stage 2 was designed to provide the best performance as its main goal, with no regard to keeping it quiet or material cost. It is their highest performing intake. The fact that is the loudest is what some folks go for as well to increase intake/turbo sound.

AFE also has the Momentum XP which is more for looks than power, as evidenced by the actual output numbers. It also is the quietest of the 3 options.

Then, you have the Momentum GT intake which was designed to be economical, plastic vs metal construction.

Anarchy99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFE uses a mix of performance and “bling” on their intakes. For example, the Magnum Force Stage 2 was designed to provide the best performance as its main goal, with no regard to keeping it quiet or material cost. It is their highest performing intake. The fact that is the loudest is what some folks go for as well to increase intake/turbo sound.

AFE also has the Momentum XP which is more for looks than power, as evidenced by the actual output numbers. It also is the quietest of the 3 options.

Then, you have the Momentum GT intake which was designed to be economical, plastic vs metal construction.

Awesome, I have had AFE in the past on my SRT Jeep... was a nice design. I want to get the most turbo sound but not trying to heatsoak the engine in 5 minutes with bad design for sound lol.