GEN 2 Best Replacement Tires for OEM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, so those Coopers are 2lbs more than the stock tires while RGs are 5 lbs more than the OEMs yet the Ridge Grapplers are way too heavy. .

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Literally 250% increase. Pretty sure the RGs were 10-12 lbs heavier, last time I checked

250% increase? LOL I'm afraid that comparison and math isn't fair, that's like saying Coopers are 1 once heavier than stock and RGs are 3 ounces heavier than stock therefore RGs represent a 300% increase.

The real math based on all advertised weight and stock sizes, those Coopers are 3% heavier than the stock KO2s and the RGs are 7.7% heavier.

Coopers are 2 lbs heavier, stock size RGs are 5 lbs heavier

I understand the virtues of unsprung weight, If comparing Cooper tires with the 3 lb heavier RGs, my preference is RGs, your mileage may vary. Many, many tire choices for everyone.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do most people really think that you will feel a difference of two to 5 lb difference in tires on street handling? Not talking about the racetrack.

I think that heavier tires may actually provide a better feel on the street. Specifically comfort, not handling

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do most people really think that you will feel a difference of two to 5 lb difference in tires on street handling? Not talking about the racetrack.

I think that heavier tires may actually provide a better feel on the street. Specifically comfort, not handling

Under 3 lbs is generally considered trivial, but 5lbs and higher you really start paying the penalty. Several guys on this forum reported a fuel efficiency loss of 3 mpg switching to RGs from KO2s. That is to say nothing of the hampered acceleration and braking.

Besides, the Cooper is rated better than the Nitto. Heard mixed reviews on the Nitto, almost all positive on Cooper minus the bad batch they had a few years back. Guys I know that have run both prefer the coopers.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a difference in weight, but I wonder how much of that is attributed to additional tread depth and sidewall lugs on the RG's? The difference in tread depth between the KO2's and the Ridge Grapplers is 3.3/32"

Reaction score
I bought the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs a month ago. They are quiet on the road and have done an amazing job offroad aswell. I live in Arizona and these tires are doing great out here.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, I got my Coopers on today. Supposedly they are only 2 lbs heavier per tire than the stockers, which is one of the many reason I opted for them over other tires.

The weight is definitely noticeable. Very glad I didn't go with a heavier tire, I would have really regretted it.

In other news, the traction is ridiculous. I was hitting things in 2wd I could previously only do in 4A. The E range makes itself known since you feel the smaller stuff, and it is slightly less smooth, but unlike the KO2s the Maxx doesn't breakaway dramatically like the KO2s would. I can actually drive aggressively on dirt/gravel roads in 2wd with street pressures and not be at risk of wrecking my truck.

I'm pretty convinced one of the reasons the KO2 was the factory choice is because it has such low rolling resistance/traction you can get great fuel economy out of it.

IMAG2022.jpg IMAG2024.jpg IMAG2026.jpg IMAG2027.jpgIMAG2025.jpg