Best replacement for OEM speakers...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricEst1978

Reaction score
Posting this because I perused the "speaker upgrade' thread and didn't see an answer to what I'm hoping is a fairly simple question.

If I'm not looking to upgrade the entire system at this time but I'd like to get the best sound I can out of the existing system/head unit by only replacing speakers and adding sound deadening in the doors and where appropriate, does anyone with some knowledge on this topic have any recommendations? I'd like to be able to crank the music fairly loud and not have to worry about blowing speakers or major deterioration in sound quality but I'm using the 17' OEM Sony system as a basis for comparison.

Sure, I'd love to be able to put an amazing system in this thing down the road but I don't know when/if that'll become a priority for me financially given what that will likely cost (based on others posts I've read here). So... I'd really appreciate if someone can give me advice on how to approach the question above, understanding I'm not an audiophile and am aware of the limitations of this type of request.

Cheers!

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wrapping your sub makes a big difference for next to no expense. I did mine and it really improved things. It helped make the stock sub have more presence.

After a while I ended up doing the whole cab in second skin, speakers, amp, and a sub, all from Bruce at Hush Audio. He also tolerated me asking him A BUNCH of questions as I was doing the install. It had been a very long time since I installed a system.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
With the Sony system, you have more flexibility to mod “one piece at a time” but you can never make it truly good short of a “full update”. The mixing Ford uses on the Sony & later b&o is just terrible. The center speaker does nothing to help out at all and the speakers themselves are exceedingly poor quality. Anything aftermarket you would install would be better.

what’s your budget; short and long term?

You only need about 2600 bucks total for a solid result. I redid the system and would do it again, cutting out a few steps along the way.

+1 @Oldfart - wrap the sub enclosure with spare dynamat, or similar insulation. nobody’s ever going to see it. Do NOT waste your $$ repurposing this enclosure with an 8 or even 10” sub and amp. It’s not enough enclosure for 10” and with 8” you’re going to max out before you have enough power for a solid 50-75w rms system.

If you plan on eventually doing it right, even if it’s you doing the work, you can wire in components up front, and replace the stock tweeters. Else, replace them anyway and go coax. Your budget is your limit. I have Focal components up front and my original speaker mod, pioneer a series in back.

The components up front do really brighten up the stage and give really good range.

here’s where I’d take it from there, knowing what I know now.
I used the Rockford DSR1, and it’s a bit persnickety to set up but once done, does work, you can adjust by an app. There may be a couple other options out there, I think the DSR1 weighed in under $400.

You need a solid 400+ watts for the sub. If you want something to fit behind the seat, you can either build yourself or buy. The only one I know selling a behind the seat sub is Mobile Toyz in Texas. I have their 10” enclosure, loaded (amp and sub). That was $1100 when I bought. Under the seat enclosure will likely cost less but you lose floor space.

Get decent wiring, overrated for what you think you need, because you’ll be making an almost 30 foot run from the battery.

Decent 4 channel amp : should be doable under $300 or so? ish.

You can do all but the DSR1 ahead of time and reduce the final install time up front. Speakers, insulation, route but do not connect the wiring. Mount the amps. DSR1 can be had with plug and play harnesses, you only need to tap a signal wire for the sub amp IIRC. And they identify the wire to tap.

It’s not a complicated install at all and the most time consuming parts are running the cabling from the battery to amps, component speaker wiring if you do components up front (because you’re actually only using 4 channels this way), and mounting the amps. Make any connections SOLID, any crimping you need to do, check some videos online so you do it RIGHT the first time.

This mod will likely net you the most enjoyment of any you can do.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
That’s true. The bass gets “rolled off” starting in the low 20’s on the volume. It may actually be lower in the range but around 21-22 is where I first started to not the bass wasn’t increasing as the volume went up.

This cannot be changed with the stock amp. Neither can the very poor mixing.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think you're gonna find the answer you want if you have read everything posted thus far. You're fighting against lack of power by upgrading your mids and not upgrading the power. You would get better sound if you upgraded your power with stock speakers to be honest. But then you would be fighting power on ****** speakers and longevity of speakers. You can replace the stockers with a higher sensitivity speaker and it might sound better but it would be only slightly better. Worth the effort, not IMO. You could get a 5 channel amp for around 300 bucks and get decent aftermarket speakers for 300 front and back with a small sub and get killer sound compared to stock. It doesn't have to cost a fortune. If you want to go through the effort try JL Audio C1's and see what happens.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
You would get better sound if you upgraded your power with stock speakers to be honest
I’ve heard this quite a few times. I think we may have even had an FRF do this but I’d be concerned, having seen the stock speakers.

Who’s done this? did it work? how long? :)

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Posting this because I perused the "speaker upgrade' thread and didn't see an answer to what I'm hoping is a fairly simple question.

If I'm not looking to upgrade the entire system at this time but I'd like to get the best sound I can out of the existing system/head unit by only replacing speakers and adding sound deadening in the doors and where appropriate, does anyone with some knowledge on this topic have any recommendations? I'd like to be able to crank the music fairly loud and not have to worry about blowing speakers or major deterioration in sound quality but I'm using the 17' OEM Sony system as a basis for comparison.

Sure, I'd love to be able to put an amazing system in this thing down the road but I don't know when/if that'll become a priority for me financially given what that will likely cost (based on others posts I've read here). So... I'd really appreciate if someone can give me advice on how to approach the question above, understanding I'm not an audiophile and am aware of the limitations of this type of request.

Cheers!

Don't waste your time or money. The problem is not the speakers. Replacing them will not fix your problem. There is no answer you WANT to hear.

Main issue is the amp in the Sony / B&O systems is TRASH. 12 watts per channel max. The speakers sound like crap because the amp starts clipping at volumes over 15. To reduce blown speakers, they roll off (turn down) the bass.

You can buy $800 speakers, but hook them up to the stock amp and it will still sound like crap.

I hooked up a proper 600 watt amp to the stock speakers for a night, and they sounded great and played loud as hell. The speakers are not the problem. Too little power is.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The question then becomes, if you find speakers that sound marginally better than stock because they are more efficient with the low power, will they be the speakers you want to use when you actually upgrade the amp?

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve heard this quite a few times. I think we may have even had an FRF do this but I’d be concerned, having seen the stock speakers.

Who’s done this? did it work? how long? :)
It's not a good idea, lol. The stockers will sound better because of more power and die quicker because of it. Adding better speakers will just distort quicker generally.
The question then becomes, if you find speakers that sound marginally better than stock because they are more efficient with the low power, will they be the speakers you want to use when you actually upgrade the amp?
At that point you're playing leap frog wasting time and money. You honestly have to find where you want to be from the start and be happy when you get there. I'll say with 10 grand in my stereo there is no such thing for some people....people being me.