Best perch collars?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gregger

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to go the 1.5" route, since I want to keep a little bit of rake for towing and whatnot. That, and I commute 150 miles 5 times a month, so I don't want to totally kill the MPG.

Thinking RPG, but anyone have a serious opinion about one brand vs another?

maximus5403

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RPG or ICON. Both are excellent. I ended up going with ICON since I like their top plate design and allows more options. I prefer to remove the shock from the truck to install as I can do it faster than fiddling with the spring compressor trying to fit between control arms and mounts without damaging anything.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why a collar and not Geiser springs? My thought is with the longer spring you get more suspension, am I wrong? I plan to do one or the other with my 19, so I am asking for help. Thanks.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why a collar and not Geiser springs? My thought is with the longer spring you get more suspension, am I wrong? I plan to do one or the other with my 19, so I am asking for help. Thanks.

Yes you are wrong you don’t get “more suspension” by adding springs to coil over shocks. You will get a higher ride height and a progressive spring rate with the Geisers. You are going to have to wait for any mods with the new shocks, nobody knows how they will react to modification at this point.

Reason for collars over Geiser springs is desired ride height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes you are wrong you don’t get “more suspension” by adding springs to coil over shocks. You will get a higher ride height and a progressive spring rate with the Geisers. You are going to have to wait for any mods with the new shocks, nobody knows how they will react to modification at this point.

Maybe my choice of words "more suspension" was bad. If the collar (2") raises the truck 2" and the Geiser spring adds 2", in my mind you then have 2" of more spring to work (collar does not add "spring"), vs the stock spring. The price difference is not that much, so it seems to me (knowing enough to be dangerous) that the Geiser is a better deal. Thoughts?

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe my choice of words "more suspension" was bad. If the collar (2") raises the truck 2" and the Geiser spring adds 2", in my mind you then have 2" of more spring to work (collar does not add "spring"), vs the stock spring. The price difference is not that much, so it seems to me (knowing enough to be dangerous) that the Geiser is a better deal. Thoughts?

If your going deaver +3 or more in the rear, then yes the geisers are a better option. If you want to level the truck with +2 Deavers or stock springs the collars are the better option in 1.5”-2” to get the truck level. Geiser and stock or deaver +2 will have the truck riding nose high 1-2”.

When purchasing a collar you will not net the full collar height. For example my RPG 1.5” collars only raised my truck 1.25”. Which leaves my deaver +2 HD rear leafs half an inch higher rear ride height, of which I prefer because I do tow with my truck.

The best option would be to buy a set of aftermarket shocks with adjustable ride height.

All of this has yet to be figured out with the new fox dynamic shocks.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks. My long term plan is to put 37s on the truck, and I want it reasonably level. When I get it in November I will leave it stock until someone figures out what to do with the new shocks. The +2 or +3 Deavers sound like the best plan for the rear, I just need to figure out the front.

turn-r-us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also interested in perch collars but will need to wait and see how things will work with the new shocks.

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Stock springs on the 2017 and 2018 are linear, or progressive?