Best intercooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorrunner2019

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm quite new to the gen2 world as I am taking delivery of one next month, but was curious to hear what are the major benefits to upgrading the intercooler?
If you can go to your display and view your intake air and charge air temps, you will notice that under boost, you will have increasing temperatures in charge air. This doesn’t logically seem like a good thing for power or the engine. An upgraded intercooler as simple as a stock location drop in and you will see the charge air temp actually go down when in boost versus the other way around. When changing out for stock location CVF, it was noted how poorly the stock intercooler seems to be constructed versus aftermarket counterparts.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
they use the same intercooler for the 2.7L motor, the 3.5L motor, and the 3.5L HO. Now you're tuned and running more boost, still think that IC good enough for the 2.7 is good enough for your boosted HO?

HAZMAT221

Reaction score
I'm quite new to the gen2 world as I am taking delivery of one next month, but was curious to hear what are the major benefits to upgrading the intercooler?

Comes down to how many modifications you want to make. Front Mounts like Full Race,Cobb, and the in between like Wagner require the most modification as you will need to remove you shutters and accommodate the mounts. In some cases you will need to do some cutting of plastics for the hosing. Not great if you want to keep changes like that to a minimal. The upside, they tend to be the largest and thus have the most capacity. The other route is something more OEM like the CVF, Mishimoto, AFE, AMS, Garrett which mounts comparably to the stock IC. Here it tends to get to preference, cost, and whether you can maintain the factory fan and other components. PLus, they're a bit more under the radar. One thing you should do with these is relocate the fron plate if your state requires one. Swarfworks makes a great mount. Plus, the stock holes are easy to plug.

In general, the one consenus i've seen is that the stock IC sucks and anything will likely be better and offer at least 40% more cooling capacity which in turn leads cooler/denser air and thus more power on the tunes.

toddr

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can go to your display and view your intake air and charge air temps, you will notice that under boost, you will have increasing temperatures in charge air. This doesn’t logically seem like a good thing for power or the engine. An upgraded intercooler as simple as a stock location drop in and you will see the charge air temp actually go down when in boost versus the other way around. When changing out for stock location CVF, it was noted how poorly the stock intercooler seems to be constructed versus aftermarket counterparts.
Thanks for the info!!

Comes down to how many modifications you want to make. Front Mounts like Full Race,Cobb, and the in between like Wagner require the most modification as you will need to remove you shutters and accommodate the mounts. In some cases you will need to do some cutting of plastics for the hosing. Not great if you want to keep changes like that to a minimal. The upside, they tend to be the largest and thus have the most capacity. The other route is something more OEM like the CVF, Mishimoto, AFE, AMS, Garrett which mounts comparably to the stock IC. Here it tends to get to preference, cost, and whether you can maintain the factory fan and other components. PLus, they're a bit more under the radar. One thing you should do with these is relocate the fron plate if your state requires one. Swarfworks makes a great mount. Plus, the stock holes are easy to plug.

In general, the one consenus i've seen is that the stock IC sucks and anything will likely be better and offer at least 40% more cooling capacity which in turn leads cooler/denser air and thus more power on the tunes.

I appreciate the write up. Have you heard good things about the SVC as that’s the one I’m looking at and I believe it is one that requires relocation. But I also don’t want to do as you mentioned and have to cut a lot of stuff for it to fit. Does the location provide any added benefit (ie less restrictive to the flow of air while driving since it’s right behind the grill which is fairly open)?

HAZMAT221

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!!

I appreciate the write up. Have you heard good things about the SVC as that’s the one I’m looking at and I believe it is one that requires relocation. But I also don’t want to do as you mentioned and have to cut a lot of stuff for it to fit. Does the location provide any added benefit (ie less restrictive to the flow of air while driving since it’s right behind the grill which is fairly open)?

Someone with an SVC would likely have to comment. If it's in front of the radiator, you will likely need to remove shutters and accommodate the pipes. You typically cannot mount lights behind the grill as well if you choose that path, but i'm not completely sure with the SVC. And the biggest benefit of the Front Mount is ability for the IC to be larger and taller which could lead to better cooling since there's more surface area available up front. You would need to refer to specific numbers though. The forums are chock full of them since this topic has been broached many times. However, the OEM mounts still perform well especially if the opening for the IC is unobstructed.

Gcode450

Reaction score
Did anybody just upgrade their cold/hot side intercooler pipes and silicone boots at the same time when doing the IC change?

https://www.mishimoto.com/ford-f150-2017-35-ecoboost-intercooler-pipe-kit.html

I hope to get to this in mid-March. I have major Raptor surgery planned... the complete Mishimoto hot/cold system plus a lot of other goodies... all collecting dust until I can install 'em... tune is already loaded and ready for datalogging for when I am complete. Bought most of the stuff on Black Friday :)

Last edited:

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seems to me the “best” IC really depends on what you’re using the truck for & what kinda climate/environment you’ll be using it in.

If you’re keeping it mostly stock, maybe just adding a tune & live in a more seasonal/cooler climate & aren’t pushing it all the time offroad or towing/hauling a lot the stock IC is probably fine. When (really it’s IF- depending on mileage/use) it’s time you “need” a replacement going aftermarket can be an option

Regardless of use or modding- seems if you live in a consistently hot climate & are either a) sitting in traffic a lot & doing “regular truck” stuff like hauling the fam & light towing etc or b) actually running it offroad in sand/mud long range over landing etc Even stock, would benefit from an upgraded IC, & c) those that live in a warmer climate, mod & continue to mod, & push it hard on & offroad regularly

I think better question is - if you’re going to upgrade the IC what are your intended uses, what’s the climate like, & do you care about voiding warranty. Based on experience I’ve heard and/or seen on forums etc Ford can be a b***h on warranty claims...installing an IC that involves chopping up/removing the grill shutters, relocating sensors/wiring, & wedging a giant “FMIC” that’s staring @ ya right through the grill may not be the best idea....in particular if you intend on pushing the truck hard.

Seems there are plenty of “stock location” upgraded ICs available that require little or no modifications to the stock parts. CVF, Wagner, Mishimoto, whipple etc.

I live in MA have put about 45k miles on 2 gen2 Raptors I run gearhead tune & drive aggressive on street & go offroad on logging roads/gravel roads/fields maybe 5% of my driving mileage-wise, I tow a utility trailer & waverunners on occasion 2000-5000 lbs max

I don’t see any need for an upgraded IC at this time, only in dead traffic going to cape in mid summer would I notice IATs that get high