Best Intercooler for Stock Location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Nick that CVF is absolutely your best bang for your buck! Will the Garrett and Cobb run a little cooler in the stock location? Yes, but not by much and at a significant price difference. Like making a lot of HP, the last few ponies are exponentially more expensive.

Nate_Climb

Reaction score
I agree with @nicksub1. The Garrett will be a little easier to install but not by mutch.
I have run stock, CVF and COBB.

I have a full-race for sale, never opened and I’ll be driving to Salt Lake City the week after next. The full-race is a FMIC without cooling fans.
@Raptus did you switch out from COBB for FMIC and will you be in the Raptor when you come to SLC?

@Nick@Apollo-Optics
It looks like the Garrett is a little cheaper than the COBB and has a drain for condensation.

"This drain plug can be removed to relieve any condensation buildup in the intercooler. This is a common problem with the F150 vehicle in some regions of the country."

Am I correct to assume this feature is most beneficial to high humidity regions?

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Question for @Nick, Have you found any cooling fans for the COBB FMIC? I know there is very little room.
I personally have not. We did have one client who rigged up some fans to work with his AMS intercooler. But I don't remember if he ever shared any feedback on appreciable differences wit or without the fans.

@Raptus did you switch out from COBB for FMIC and will you be in the Raptor when you come to SLC?

@Nick@Apollo-Optics
It looks like the Garrett is a little cheaper than the COBB and has a drain for condensation.

"This drain plug can be removed to relieve any condensation buildup in the intercooler. This is a common problem with the F150 vehicle in some regions of the country."

Am I correct to assume this feature is most beneficial to high humidity regions?
In my experience, the condensation issues were mostly seen in the 11-14 trucks and a lot of guys would drill small weep holes for them. Down here in Houston it gets fairly humid and I've never seen any issues with our 2018 Raptor. When it had the stock intercooler or the aftermarket COBB intercooler, so it's not something I would be overly concerned about, especially in Utah. I was there weekend before last and the humidity was only 11% where we were!

Raptus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Nate I went from the CVF to the COBB Front Mounted Intercooler (non-stock location). Yes, the Raptor will be going to Utah too!

Road runner

Reaction score
There are a lot of options out there when it comes to replacing the stock intercooler, including quite a few that mount to the stock location and don't require any modifications to make them fit. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of Garrett, Injen, Mishimoto, Whipple, etc.

Is there a consensus "best in class" when it comes to an intercooler for the stock location

There are a lot of options out there when it comes to replacing the stock intercooler, including quite a few that mount to the stock location and don't require any modifications to make them fit. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of Garrett, Injen, Mishimoto, Whipple, etc.

Is there a consensus "best in class" when it comes to an intercooler for the stock location?
I went with CVF Titan. They are almost identical to AFE but only cost $500. Also got the intercooler pipes hot and cold side. Customer service is off the chart. They will respond within minutes.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You'll need some sort of OBD2 monitor.

P3 Gauges is a nice option that can go into your AC vent and can monitor IATs.

Or you can also do something a little bit less expensive like the Banks iDash with a suction cup mount for $334.