Best Intercooler for Stock Location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

digscruze

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dump the shutters if you want to really feel the benefit of an IC upgrade.

Are you feeling the benefits of this? I plan on doing this to mines. I run the Wagner IC + 170 TS and also live in So. FL. Heat is a major issue here year round.

Have you seen significant benefits in removing your shudders?

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you feeling the benefits of this? I plan on doing this to mines. I run the Wagner IC + 170 TS and also live in So. FL. Heat is a major issue here year round.

Have you seen significant benefits in removing your shudders?

Yup and you know it. Down to the 40’s for a couple of nights burrr. Enjoy while you can.

While I sit here and talk about it, I have yet to remove mine. But that will be tomorrow. Observing the shutters on the truck, and even in the heat down here. I am baffled to realize why the truck has them closed most of the time. Obviously Ford wants things on the warmer side. I just had a friend down here remove his and Manifold charge temps are an average of 10 degrees away from inlet temps. Sitting at a light they warm up. But get crushing and it cools right down. I have talked to others that reflect the same result and in hot climates.

I have a Injen IC in my truck and honestly the shutters help to defeat the value of it, except on harder pulls. For warm climates shutter removal seems to be a no brainer.

digscruze

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup and you know it. Down to the 40’s for a couple of nights burrr. Enjoy while you can.

While I sit here and talk about it, I have yet to remove mine. But that will be tomorrow. Observing the shutters on the truck, and even in the heat down here. I am baffled to realize why the truck has them closed most of the time. Obviously Ford wants things on the warmer side. I just had a friend down here remove his and Manifold charge temps are an average of 10 degrees away from inlet temps. Sitting at a light they warm up. But get crushing and it cools right down. I have talked to others that reflect the same result and in hot climates.

I have a Injen IC in my truck and honestly the shutters help to defeat the value of it, except on harder pulls. For warm climates shutter removal seems to be a no brainer.

LOL i do enjoy the temps when they come down, i cant stand people that complain otherwise when it barely gets cold for a couple of weeks.

Back to the IC issue, i do think the shutters do not benefit us at all. MY temps had been high even with an upgraded IC and i think it neglects the benefit of proper airflow, which i'll take any day over MPG's.

I saw your other thread and the process seems simple enough. What do you have to do to make this happen? Simply remove the front guard and slide the shutters out? I have my truck at the dealer but when i get her back that the first thing i plan on doing. If you could take some pics and advise on the process I would greatly appreciate it!

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LOL i do enjoy the temps when they come down, i cant stand people that complain otherwise when it barely gets cold for a couple of weeks.

Back to the IC issue, i do think the shutters do not benefit us at all. MY temps had been high even with an upgraded IC and i think it neglects the benefit of proper airflow, which i'll take any day over MPG's.

I saw your other thread and the process seems simple enough. What do you have to do to make this happen? Simply remove the front guard and slide the shutters out? I have my truck at the dealer but when i get her back that the first thing i plan on doing. If you could take some pics and advise on the process I would greatly appreciate it!

Did mine today. Pretty simple by popping off the front grill from the outside and then slowly bend the shutter blades one at a time and pop them out of the mounting points. I went ahead and released each shutter from the center control clip first. And that’s basically it. I have a couple of pics I could post up, but they don’t look that different, then what’s in the other thread. I could have taken a pic before the removal to illustrate, but I did not sorry.

Want to thank @RaptorVette for the initial instruction.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Has anyone who lives in an extremely cold environment done this and Not have any issues?

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone who lives in an extremely cold environment done this and Not have any issues?

Thats a good question and would be concerned about condensation, etc. also if you lived in a damp cooler environment. Supposedly Gen 1 Ecoboost systems utilized a very good IC and had this problem I heard within certain climates. Symptoms were back and misfires due to excessive moisture entering the engine. So it’s a consideration.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts