Best Intercooler for Stock Location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

royCfus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering about your statement because a lot of well known tuners state that for the tune to be consistent an upgraded IC will help.
I agree with that. However the OP asked about best OEM replacement IC. To just replace the OEM IC without a tune is pointless. It will not yield real world performance gains in the form of more HP, TQ or fuel economy. The stock IC is lacking for sure and an aftermarked IC will help get some consistency but is it worth $1k + labor for consistancy? That is for the OP to decide, which is why I suggested if you are going to invest in your truck to get ANY meaningful performance gain, a tune should be a first stop.

royCfus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering If you install a aftermarket full size IC like Cobb or Mountune would the truck end up with overheating problems because the IC sits right in front of the radiator and takes up all the room of the air flows for the radiator.
I have had the Full Race IC installed for over a year and I am in Vegas. Zero overheating issues so far.

Seartrip

Reaction score
I installed the Mishimoto IC as I wanted to use the stock location. Overall, very impressed with the quality and fit. I haven't done any detailed testing, but watching IATs from my Accessport it seems to deliver good, consistent temp reduction compared to stock, with a quicker recovery after hard runs. And yes, I'm running the Cobb (Stage 1 93 octane) tune, which together is working great- truck runs better than stock in all conditions I've thrown at it. Also wanted to note I moved the front plate and my stock IC opening gets full airflow, which I think matters more than most people give it credit for.

And for what it's worth, I agree an IC is not really about adding performance in a non-tuned truck, but it will help maximize power delivery (existing maximum stock power capability) by not pulling timing due to rising IATs from a load, such as towing or extended full throttle runs. Power output at any given time is dependent on several variables, and keeping the intake charge cooler always help with power output.

Plus Mishimoto gave me this cool little stick-on penguin, logo-thingy for my window, so that alone was worth it.

CVF-Jason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_2307-a.jpg

https://www.cvfab.com/collections/t...ercooler-2015-f-150-raptor-2-7l-3-5l-ecoboost

Give us a look in your search for a stock replacement unit. We've got a proven 40+ degree reduction in intake temps. with the data to back it up in the product page link above as well as some user reviews here:

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/cv-f...ed-2017-f150-3-5-ecoboost-443100/#post6145660

https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/...ce/78414-cvf-titan-intercooler-installed.html

Our product line for F-150 is expanding, so expect to see and hear more from us in the near future! :)

Last edited: