Best Intercooler for Stock Location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other than the price difference, do people like the CVF better than the Whipple? I was planning to get the Whipple with a JDM tune. It has a bit more volume than the CVF and Whipple is generally good stuff.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All installed!

Just the normal ticking now associated with the intercooler change..that I have to live with lol.

Kirby Lastinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What ticking with the intercooler change?
I have heard of ticking if you change the BOV with the intercooler, but not with just the intercooler itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the turbosmart BOV installed. So yeah, ticking. Its not super annoying because of the glorious noise that is produced from the exhaust.

MattACK

Reaction score
I totally agree with your point, it is not only about the air charge temperature, in fluid mechanics; there is something called turbulent flow and laminar flow. When the air is charged into any internal combustion engine it should be turbulent. That turbulent air flow will increase the momentum which creates better heat and and power through the engine. The bigger inter-cooler means less turbulent flow and less power especially in low RPM. That is why we get turbo lag at low RPM with bigger intercooler because there is no turbulent air charge flow.

It is a Raptor, we need the power in the lower RPM to climb the dunes and pick the power as soon as possible.

If we are talking about racing turbo cars then bigger intercooler may work.

You only want turbulent flow in an intake runner of a port injection vehicle in order to better mix the air and fuel as it enters the cylinder. This isn’t an issue on a direct injection engine since the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder under high pressure. Laminar flow is desired in all other sections of the charge or intake piping.

Turbulent flow will actually cause all sorts of problems and with fluid transfer (air or liquid), and laminar flow is desired. During heat transfer, turbulent flow is desired which is why the fins exist in the intercooler designs.

You potentially may have issues with a massively oversized intercooler which results in increased turbo lag due to the extra volume, small displacement engine, and/or oversized turbo.