Best AT tire for wet and dry road handling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1fastdoc

Reaction score
I don't want to beat a dead horse but this situation may be a little unique . I have a 14 Raptor that spends 95% of its time on blacktop. About half of that is on wet pavement. However when on dry it is driven rather aggressively. Very aggressively. I've cooked through the original KO's in 17k miles and I've already replaced the pads and rotors.

The KO's are not so good on wet. But the D rated tires handled hard fast turns quite well. Unfortunately if I stick with BFG I either get softer C or heavier E tires, neither being a good option for spirited driving.

From reading posts and reviews the Duratracs sound like they're better on wet. But will they be as good as the KO's through twisty roads? Are there better options?

Thanks

Todd458

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Michelin MS. I actually saw a raptor with these on there. It didn’t look that bad. He’s in the same situation,and said he has never gotten stuck at his ranch with them. But excellent on wet roads

OP
OP

1fastdoc

Reaction score
Michelin MS. I actually saw a raptor with these on there. It didn’t look that bad. He’s in the same situation,and said he has never gotten stuck at his ranch with them. But excellent on wet roads

Definitely looks like it would handle the highway well. But that other 5% is off road on trails designed for quads and Razors.

Todd458

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well 95% of the time you would have the smoothest quietest and Best wet traction Tire you can put on a truck. I have them on an LX 570. I’m gonna probably keep the KO twos on the raptor when it comes in, I just like the look of the truck. Mine will be about 75% on the road the other 25% on basically dirt roads at my ranch. just look at consumer reports review on them as well as tire rack etc. For what they’re designed for there’s nothing better. If you were in sand or mud a lot of the time I would tell you maybe a more aggressive all-terrain. Only you knows how aggressive that 5% is. But if you got stuck in that truck with those particular Mitchlen tires .It would be getting a little hairy with the average all-terrain tire as well. They have got me through some decent soft ground.Good luck

Todd458

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP

1fastdoc

Reaction score

After reading various forum comments and reviews, I've come back to those Continental terrain contacts. Wish they were D rated but the few I've found that are either struggle with wet or dry

Anyone here push the terrain contacts on the street ?

Jeff302

Reaction score
You might try the Cooper AT3 range. I actually got a set of the AT3 XLT installed last night, and although I only have about 20 miles on them so far, initial impressions are excellent. I drove home from my local Discount Tire in the rain, and at speeds up to 70 mph, no issues at all. They get great reviews everywhere and Walmart currently has the AT3 XLT on sale for $210 each. They did (and may still) have them for $390 a pair, and my local Discount Tire price matched that for me. They are also E load range, but they ride great. And hard to beat a solid name brand tire that looks great, performs well, and has a 60k mile treadwear warranty for right around $200 each in 315/70r17.
Oh and if $$$ is a concern like it is for little old me, you can get many months of zero interest financing on the Discount Tire card.
Center cap isn't installed yet (I was too impatient), but here's a shot of the XLT sidewall and the 17x8.5 American Outlaw wheels I selected because they were relatively light, gloss black (not a fan of matte on wheels), and only $120 a piece with a lifetime structural warranty. For the wheels, the 23 lbs on the DT site is incorrect. I weighed them myself and they are 26.4 lbs each including the cap.

20181130_181737.jpg

OP
OP

1fastdoc

Reaction score
Well, fate stepped in and put a nail into one of my relatively bald tires. And Discount Tire was having a sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

So I got the Conti Terrain Contacts in 315/70/17, E load range. Definitely more of a firm ride than the KO's although they're at 44 psi and I'll probably bring that down to 40. I definitely notice every bump On wet they still slide a little from the start on hills and turns but not nearly as bad as the KO. I certainly don't go sliding around turns the way the KO's did. On dry, they surprised me with much better grab than expected.

As far as noisy/quiet, I never really paid any attention to the original tires so it's hard to say. They're not noisier, I know that. With the stereo off the truck runs pretty quiet.

squeak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might try the Cooper AT3 range. I actually got a set of the AT3 XLT installed last night, and although I only have about 20 miles on them so far, initial impressions are excellent. I drove home from my local Discount Tire in the rain, and at speeds up to 70 mph, no issues at all. They get great reviews everywhere and Walmart currently has the AT3 XLT on sale for $210 each. They did (and may still) have them for $390 a pair, and my local Discount Tire price matched that for me. They are also E load range, but they ride great. And hard to beat a solid name brand tire that looks great, performs well, and has a 60k mile treadwear warranty for right around $200 each in 315/70r17.
Oh and if $$$ is a concern like it is for little old me, you can get many months of zero interest financing on the Discount Tire card.
Center cap isn't installed yet (I was too impatient), but here's a shot of the XLT sidewall and the 17x8.5 American Outlaw wheels I selected because they were relatively light, gloss black (not a fan of matte on wheels), and only $120 a piece with a lifetime structural warranty. For the wheels, the 23 lbs on the DT site is incorrect. I weighed them myself and they are 26.4 lbs each including the cap.

View attachment 115925
Still like these tires after driving them more? I'm trying to figure out which tires I want on my 601's. Probably only off-road once per year and that's on a beach, other than that I need all-season.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jeff302

Reaction score
Still like these tires after driving them more? I'm trying to figure out which tires I want on my 601's. Probably only off-road once per year and that's on a beach, other than that I need all-season.

Absolutely! I do need to play with the pressure some more to find where I like them the best, but so far they are fantastic on the road. I haven't tested them offroad yet, unless you consider a grass yard and a gravel driveway as being offroad, but I will post up my experiences once I get a chance to use them somewhere more fun. They are exceptionally quiet, smooth, handle very well in both the wet and dry, and in my opinion, soft riding for an E. No snow or ice yet, but if the forecast holds, I may get to test that this weekend.
I can't give any direct comparison to other 17" tires on the Raptor, but going from the well-worn 35x12.5r20 Toyo AT2 that were on the truck when I bought it, they are light years better. Those things howled like an MT and rode like they were made from concrete. In the wet, they would hydroplane at the slightest provocation, and spin if you did anything more than breathe on the accelerator. As for "offroad", anything more than a slightly sloped gravel driveway or level grass field and they were useless. Granted, they weren't new, but they still had at least 7-8/32nds tread depth remaining. They were beyond a doubt the worst tires I have ever experienced on any vehicle in the 30+ years I've been driving. Oh, they weighed the better part of a metric ton, or so it seemed.
So, take my AT3 opinion with a bit of salt, because honestly I probably could have put some lawn mower tires on in place of the Toyos and considered it a vast improvement!
But in all seriousness, so far they have indeed been pretty phenomenal.