Belts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know that there has been recent discussion about safety belts here, but I can't find the thread. Forgive me for starting a new one.

I just visited the annual Association of the United States Army convention in Huntsville, Alabama and came away with a notion for adding 4 or 5 point safety belts to our trucks. In a previous thread the contention was made that it couldn't be done unless you, a) install a roll cage or a bar that reduces access to the back seats, or B) install belts that clip into the rear seat belts and also reduce access to the rear seats.

One of the contributors to the convention had a display of safety harnesses that they supply to the Army for combat vehicle and helicopter applications. One of their systems was what the exhibitor called a "Y-Belt" that went between the twin uprights of the headrest, over the seat, and bolted to the floor immediately behind the seat. Another system had a pair of belts that went over the seat, and bolted to an angle steel bracket that simply bolted to the floor via the same bolts that bolted the seat down.

Of course, that got me thinking. Is there any particular reason why we couldn't mount a big piece of angle steel with the rear seat bolts, run the belts between the headrest uprights, and bolt them to the angle steel behind the seat? The same kind of thing (requiring a bit more ingenuity) could be done at the front of the seat for the anti-dive crotch belt. It doesn't have to be trophy truck quality because the Raptor isn't a trophy truck, so why wouldn't this be a perfectly safe installation and better/stronger than the factory 3-point belts?

All comments and suggestions very welcome.

GMBRacing

Reaction score
with the belts pulling down like that, in a rollover you will crush the spine. go to circle track magazine and search for the article on mounting belts