Belt whine, Vibrations, and Sudden Acceleration...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lance Kirby

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 2013 Raptor and have recently started to experience the problems listed in the title. First, and least concerning, is what sounds like a belt whining on start up. It is only noticeable driving with the windows down and the radio off. It does not get worse when turning the wheel so i do not believe that it is from the power steering pump. Are there any tips for figuring out which one is getting loose? The Vibrations comes from under the driver side foot well and seems to increase with speed. Although, if I hit a rise in the road with speed and use some of the down travel the vibration goes away until the weight is back on the wheels. I suspect its either the cv axle or the front driveshaft. It also seems to be amplified when turning My other issue is when I am reversing I can push the gas down approx. an 1/8 of an inch and not accelerate any, but if i push the gas down anymore it is like the drive line suddenly grabs and accelerates. Could this be related to the slip yoke, or is this issue steeming from something else?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 2013 Raptor and have recently started to experience the problems listed in the title. First, and least concerning, is what sounds like a belt whining on start up. It is only noticeable driving with the windows down and the radio off. It does not get worse when turning the wheel so i do not believe that it is from the power steering pump. Are there any tips for figuring out which one is getting loose? The Vibrations comes from under the driver side foot well and seems to increase with speed. Although, if I hit a rise in the road with speed and use some of the down travel the vibration goes away until the weight is back on the wheels. I suspect its either the cv axle or the front driveshaft. It also seems to be amplified when turning My other issue is when I am reversing I can push the gas down approx. an 1/8 of an inch and not accelerate any, but if i push the gas down anymore it is like the drive line suddenly grabs and accelerates. Could this be related to the slip yoke, or is this issue steeming from something else?

You can use a long screwdriver to see which accessory is creating the noise. Just touch the end of the screwdriver to the component and put your ear on the other end; you should be able to tell where the noise is originating from. Obviously, be careful working around the fan and belt.

Do you modify your factory hub disconnects (IWEs)? If not, your axles and driveshafts should not be engaged when driving in 2WD. You can verify this by jacking up the front of the truck (engine running) and rotating each front tire individually. The CV axles should not turn. If the hub disconnect system is working properly, check the rear driveshaft u-joints. Over time they wear out and start to bind; a change in driveline angle can affect vibration intensity. A binding u-joint can also cause the sensation you’re getting if the truck not wanting to accelerate initially from a stop.