Belt squeal- AC stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adair

Reaction score
Today I was running errands and when I started my 2014 Raptor I heard a low pitch squeal (probably the belt) but it quit and upon restarting it did not do it again. Then I noticed the AC was no longer blowing cold. On my next stop I popped the hood and saw where some grease has come from the AC clutch and been slung around. Has anybody seen this? Is it likely just the clutch? Any ideas on cost to fix? Is it ok to drive?

F6259C24-4E60-4E09-8693-FB8D9F127257.jpeg

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like the compressor is shot. i replaced mine back in 2018. not a hard job to do, but need the right equipment to bleed and fill the ac. i dont see an issue to drive on it as long as the pulley still spins. if its locked up, it will cause problems though

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't turn on AC or defrost at all while you drive it. No sense letting it attempt to engage and do who knows what.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I was running errands and when I started my 2014 Raptor I heard a low pitch squeal (probably the belt) but it quit and upon restarting it did not do it again. Then I noticed the AC was no longer blowing cold. On my next stop I popped the hood and saw where some grease has come from the AC clutch and been slung around. Has anybody seen this? Is it likely just the clutch? Any ideas on cost to fix? Is it ok to drive?

View attachment 161023
Just curious where in the world you are to need AC today???

OP
OP
A

Adair

Reaction score
Ha! East Tx. It’s not hot. The truck didn’t heat up immediately as if the belt had broken so I turned the AC on to check it. The damage had already been done.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Even when it is cold out, the compressor will come on to help defrost the windows, you don't need the a/c button lit up for the compressor to engage. Best to get it fixed quick or remove the fuse for the compressor, it's in the engine compartment, can't remember which one offhand, but it should be labelled.

I think it's fuse 11 (10 amp)

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Adair

Reaction score
Got the underneath and looked at it. There is an oil leak from a seal on the compressor. This should be fun.