Been waiting for a V8 Raptor since 2015. Sucks about Raptor R's fate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JSAN

Reaction score
Been reading on these forums and few other sites that the Raptor R might not make production. Few reasons stated were; Chip shortage, low inventory leading to hard enough time building non R Raptors, low demand and Ford unable to make the V8 work on the Raptor because they're having issues.

I don't know how true any of those reasons are, but I have been waiting for a new V8 Raptor since 2015. After I heard that the 2nd gen was coming with a 3.5L EB, I went with a 2018 F150 to hold me over till a V8 Raptor came along.

So now I can get really good coin for my 2018 F150 but If I sell it or trade it, I don't have the vehicle that I want to buy, which is the V8 Raptor R.

Why can't Ford come out and make an official announcement about the fate of the truck? if it is still coming then cool, I'll try to hold off. But if it is indeed dead, then I'd go for the 3.5L Raptor or maybe the TRX if I want to scratch my V8 itch.

There is only one SVT FORD dealer around my area, and I asked them about a Raptor R allocation. He said they might get one allocation if it ever comes out. So even if it comes out, I might not even be able to get a reservation. I'm in Canada, I might have to order it from the US (if it comes out).

Anyways that was my little rant. I was super looking forward to it the R.

dsg2003mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like you've been reading too many random internet sources imho.

I just can't see Ford dropping a high margin halo vehicle.

I will agree it's probably going to be hard to grab one and even harder to grab one without an ADM

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been reading on these forums and few other sites that the Raptor R might not make production. Few reasons stated were; Chip shortage, low inventory leading to hard enough time building non R Raptors, low demand and Ford unable to make the V8 work on the Raptor because they're having issues.

I don't know how true any of those reasons are, but I have been waiting for a new V8 Raptor since 2015. After I heard that the 2nd gen was coming with a 3.5L EB, I went with a 2018 F150 to hold me over till a V8 Raptor came along.

So now I can get really good coin for my 2018 F150 but If I sell it or trade it, I don't have the vehicle that I want to buy, which is the V8 Raptor R.

Why can't Ford come out and make an official announcement about the fate of the truck? if it is still coming then cool, I'll try to hold off. But if it is indeed dead, then I'd go for the 3.5L Raptor or maybe the TRX if I want to scratch my V8 itch.

There is only one SVT FORD dealer around my area, and I asked them about a Raptor R allocation. He said they might get one allocation if it ever comes out. So even if it comes out, I might not even be able to get a reservation. I'm in Canada, I might have to order it from the US (if it comes out).

Anyways that was my little rant. I was super looking forward to it the R.
They can't announce it's fate because there's so many people thinking it will come to fruition, that will in turn order a TRX not a gen 3 raptor, should the Raptor R be announced dead.

I can still see a release similar to Bronco R for an obscene price and extremely limited quantity so Ford can say they didn't drop the ball, while simultaneously not delivering.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's exactly why. So people won't jump ship to the TRX. My advice is to grab a TRX while you can. It won't be too many years before it, and the mythical R should it ever ship, will be viewed as slow noisy antiques driven by boomers who wish they were still in high school. If you're looking for pure off road performance rather than stoplight heroism, just buy a gen 3 with the 3.5. Even if the R ships in reasonable volume, it will likely be years before you can get your hands on one. Life is short and Ford is slow. If you can buy something that makes you happy today, why wait?

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
What kind of off roading do you plan on doing? Both the Raptor and the TRX will handle the slow speed stuff pretty equally, while the TRX will win the pavement war where the Raptor being lighter will handle high speed off road work better. I live in Montana so high speed off road isn’t really a thing, so the TRX is a great fit for me. If I lived in Arizona and zipped around the desert I would have kept the Raptor.