Been using wrong PS Fluid!

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On my 2011 the book says Motorcraft Mercon V ATF, Ford part #/ Ford specification XT-5-QM\Mercon V. It is in the regular F-150 owners guide. No specs in the Raptor supplement.

Also I did not find any maintenance specs.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On my 2011 the book says Motorcraft Mercon V ATF, Ford part #/ Ford specification XT-5-QM\Mercon V. It is in the regular F-150 owners guide. No specs in the Raptor supplement.

Also I did not find any maintenance specs.

Ok, so I called my service guy at my dealership. He's a real knowledgeable guy and understands what it is that we do with our trucks. He said that Ford doesn't have a specific interval to flush/change the PS fluid. He said the best thing to is to pull a little of your fluid out and look at it compared to new fluid. If there is a distinct color change (ie dark, milky, etc) then change it. A noticeable 'burnt' smell is a good indication that it needs to be changed as well.

He admits, and I agree, that these are pretty basic tests and that an actual change interval should be established. Especially with some of the issues known regarding our PS issues (pumps, racks, etc.) He said that a lot of the service forums that he has looked at have suggested changing the fluid out between 30,000 and 40,000 miles. But that is a pretty long interval especially with what we do with our trucks.

So, my suggestion would be to monitor the color and smell of your fluid. If it starts looking or smelling used, then change it. I personally changed mine at around 40,000 miles last year and again the first of this year at around 70,000 miles (I installed an RPG system at that time). I will start looking at mine more closely after maybe 4 oil changes or after a hard run.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so I called my service guy at my dealership. He's a real knowledgeable guy and understands what it is that we do with our trucks. He said that Ford doesn't have a specific interval to flush/change the PS fluid. He said the best thing to is to pull a little of your fluid out and look at it compared to new fluid. If there is a distinct color change (ie dark, milky, etc) then change it. A noticeable 'burnt' smell is a good indication that it needs to be changed as well.

He admits, and I agree, that these are pretty basic tests and that an actual change interval should be established. Especially with some of the issues known regarding our PS issues (pumps, racks, etc.) He said that a lot of the service forums that he has looked at have suggested changing the fluid out between 30,000 and 40,000 miles. But that is a pretty long interval especially with what we do with our trucks.

So, my suggestion would be to monitor the color and smell of your fluid. If it starts looking or smelling used, then change it. I personally changed mine at around 40,000 miles last year and again the first of this year at around 70,000 miles (I installed an RPG system at that time). I will start looking at mine more closely after maybe 4 oil changes or after a hard run.

Thanks for the research. I have also been monitoring the fluid and mine is getting to the point of needing a change. I am installing the PSS res and cooler and so I guess I will flush and fill with Ford fluid since I still have ESP warranty for a year or so.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score

Since my PS pump replacement (right after my Icon Res/Cooler install) I have sucked out the fluid from the reservoir and filled it with new fluid every 3000 miles. The fluid continues to be a bright purple-ish color.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What do you suck with?

Oh that is so tempting!!

I have a Brake bleeder bottle I got from Griot's garages a few years back that also goes in reverse. I think Motive Products has something that works the same. Notice I stayed away for the word Suck!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Why do I feel this is a trick question???

Turkey Baster... you can do so much with a turkey baster.

Actually it was a serious question but I had to play on the words you used, lol. I need to remove the fluid from my PS reservoir too and just wondered what is a good device to remove it all out of it. Need to do that to my brake reservoir too as I will be flushing that system too.