GEN 2 Bed / Tonneau Covers for Dummies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fyatrk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all -

I did a search but still have questions...

Is there a "bed covers for dummies" site or resource out there?

I need a decent bed cover but it seems like there are so many options with a lot of pros and cons and I just want to make a good decision.

I looked at the Retrax but it looks like I would lose some valuable bed space and it is a lot of money (although the money is secondary to me as long as I get what I want)

We had a "office" truck several years ago that had a leather type roll up Extang cover. I loved it but it was a PITA to get back on correctly IIRC. I also cannot remember if it kept water out very well.

I want something that does the job, is not too easy to cut/break into, and looks good while keeping as much of the bed as possible. Water resistant or proof is a must but a little light leaking is ok if that is the nature of the beast.

Appreciate any input from y'all...

Diamondback HD
You won’t regret it
https://diamondbackcovers.com/collections/covers

OP
OP
DarthKickA55

DarthKickA55

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. Just an update: I went with an EXTANG Revolution really as a temporary solution while I decide how I am going to use the bed and just the truck in general. Took 20 mins or so to install.
It goes on with no drilling and modification so I figured I would run it for a month or 3 until I scope out what I will do permanently. Am now thinking (after seeing so many BadA$$ trucks here) I may go with a rail system with some accessories.

Anyway, thanks for the20200707_115913.jpg 20200707_115921 edit.jpg advice, here are a couple of pics.

Stephen27

Reaction score
There are a lot of types of bedcovers and it is quite hard for me to decide which one to choose. I ran across a good read article here is the link for different types of bed cover comparisons. I am looking for an easy to install, hard shell and will secure my detailing tools. Do you think I will pull the trigger on this? I am leaning towards the trifold design.

Fyatrk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of types of bedcovers and it is quite hard for me to decide which one to choose. I ran across a good read article here is the link for different types of bed cover comparisons. I am looking for an easy to install, hard shell and will secure my detailing tools. Do you think I will pull the trigger on this? I am leaning towards the trifold design.

DiamondBack

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

Do you notice how each one of the products is priced on the same website (Amazon) ?

This is almost certainly a “sponsored comparison” and clicking through and purchasing is very likely padding someone’s pocket you don’t know about.

I’d suggest you contact some of our supporting vendors here. I had really good interactions with RealTruck, and I’m sure there are others here who can assist you as well.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
I’ve ran Truxedo for years. In fact, the cover that was on my 2004 Ram is currently on my dads 2007 Ram 1500, and it looks and functions great to this day. I alway s recommend Truxedo if folks are looking for a soft roll up cover.

Steve_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Retrax Pro on my F350 KR and loved it. When I came to this smaller bed I didn’t want to take up what little space there is back there with the canister that the Retrax opens into, so I began looking at other secure options. I went with DiamondBack HD for the Raptor and it isn’t only tough and secure, it looks like it was made for the Raptor.

dfc65b253330ceea4896fe2096b8b03f.jpg
d511b477c2e1511821f9ca1ce0a0f133.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephen27

Reaction score
I’ve ran Truxedo for years. In fact, the cover that was on my 2004 Ram is currently on my dads 2007 Ram 1500, and it looks and functions great to this day. I alway s recommend Truxedo if folks are looking for a soft roll up cover.
Thanks, I'll try to look into that.

TrewRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Retrax Pro on my F350 KR and loved it. When I came to this smaller bed I didn’t want to take up what little space there is back there with the canister that the Retrax opens into, so I began looking at other secure options. I went with DiamondBack HD for the Raptor and it isn’t only tough and secure, it looks like it was made for the Raptor.

dfc65b253330ceea4896fe2096b8b03f.jpg
d511b477c2e1511821f9ca1ce0a0f133.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, it's a great product and rugged like the Raptor. I get lots of compliments. Also just finished and move and I had it loaded up with lots of weight without any problems. The front a rear panel can be easily removed or folded back for taller items. Lots of tie down points too.