GEN 2 Bed / Tonneau Covers for Dummies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarthKickA55

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all -

I did a search but still have questions...

Is there a "bed covers for dummies" site or resource out there?

I need a decent bed cover but it seems like there are so many options with a lot of pros and cons and I just want to make a good decision.

I looked at the Retrax but it looks like I would lose some valuable bed space and it is a lot of money (although the money is secondary to me as long as I get what I want)

We had a "office" truck several years ago that had a leather type roll up Extang cover. I loved it but it was a PITA to get back on correctly IIRC. I also cannot remember if it kept water out very well.

I want something that does the job, is not too easy to cut/break into, and looks good while keeping as much of the bed as possible. Water resistant or proof is a must but a little light leaking is ok if that is the nature of the beast.

Appreciate any input from y'all...

Aeterna

Reaction score
I had a platinum a few years back with the Rough Country Tonneau cover. I was very happy with it but i can be a cheap ass and will save money where I can. Thus brings me to my point.

i bought this Lyon bed cover for my Raptor, which in my opinion is a direct knock off from the Rough Country model I had but instead it is 150 bucks cheaper. I attached a pic of its weatherproof-ness. Not 100% but ide give it a solid 99% weatherproof rating. I hit the seals directly with a water hose.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TWZYJZ7/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

I should add, what I look for in a bedcover is toughness (deterrent from someone trying to make a quick grab), ease of install removal(to reclaim full bed when needed), and weatherproof (without having to drill a hole in my bed like most require). Some covers out there have this “easy open cable” that you can simply pull to unlatch the cover. To me, that system is one coat hanger away from someone stealing your shit. So stay away from that in my opinion.

F41666F4-7E2D-4358-9F31-6002E27B7BA7.jpeg

Aeterna

Reaction score
More pics to see how it looks. Im impressed for the price. Can buy two of these for the price of one of the other.

and yes, my Raptor is a snug fit in the garage LMAO.

26D2E023-6A96-463B-B3E3-471916A9C7F3.jpeg

6C07088F-2F63-40EE-BC9E-2A37BC85002A.jpeg

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did the search thing and settled on the Hard Hat. I've been happy so far. Taken it off and put it back on once in the month I've had it. Easy peasy and no crap on the rails to get in the way. The latches at the back are fiddly at first but are quick and easy with a small amount of practice. I did carve away a bit of plastic from the rail covers to get the latches to bear on aluminum.

OP
OP
DarthKickA55

DarthKickA55

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - I like your cover @Aeterna -
I looks for the same qualities as you.

My uncle is pretty knowledgeable on all things Ford (he owns a performance shop and a diesel shop in Miami) -
he recommended the Extang Revolution so I am going to look at those as well.

Thanks for the input so far and any additional input is welcome.

Burr55

Reaction score
I really like the Lomax Tri-fold bed cover I installed on my 2020 Scab. Very low profile and no drill install. It doesn’t take up any bed space and is easy to take off if needed. Closes on top of the tail gate so is pretty secure.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I like the Elite Undercover Tonneau cover, not as clean as some others but I like the looks, it's 100% waterproof, it lifts up higher that the original making it a little easier getting stuff out of the bed near the cab. Also has a strong rod built in that you can remove and grab and pull your gear towards the rear, as well as, a removable led light.

It is very strong as they advertise with about 8 people standing on it and while it can be broken into as most anything can it's pretty secure.

20190707_145435.jpg 20191029_152715.jpg

Pralix

Reaction score
I had a Bak Revolver X4 on my Tacoma and really liked it. I chose it because it was a hard rolling cover and didn't take any bed space when rolled up. It has a nice flush fit. I can still see out my back window when it is rolled up. I plan to get another one for my Raptor soon.