Bed/Tonneau Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
On the last 6 trucks I've owned (5 F250 diesels and 1 F150), I've installed Retrax Pro/Pro MX - as I believe they are the best money can buy. That said, I'm thinking about a BackFlip MX4 this time to avoid having the "can" at the front of this fairly small truck bed. Anybody have experience with this product or have another you think is better? Thanks.
Completely agree with you. On my F-250, I run a RetraxPRO MX but on the 5.5' beds, I prefer the MX4 for the same reasons. If you regularly haul larger or taller objects and don't want to lose the visibility, the Bak Revolver X4s and Truxedo Sentry CT are both great options.

We carry all the covers mentioned above here at Apollo Optics, happy to help get you setup with discounted forum pricing as well. Feel free to send me a PM.

And @Oldfart, thank you for the shoutout and positive feedback!

BadWRP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the Lomax on my truck. It removed easily if needed and has been watertight thus far. The only downside is the exposed aluminum edges. I wish the finish went all the way around.

MKW1456

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on what is better, but for the money I just bought a back flip mx4 as well from tonneau factory outlet. I called them for the best price and it was $879 shipped to my door.
Now....989. TFO said there was a manufacturer price increase the 1st week of Feb. Dang. Also looking at the Extang solid fold 2.0. Looks pretty nice and from a previous trifold soft tonneau I know they are easy to install and remove.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Now....989. TFO said there was a manufacturer price increase the 1st week of Feb. Dang. Also looking at the Extang solid fold 2.0. Looks pretty nice and from a previous trifold soft tonneau I know they are easy to install and remove.
We carry those too, if you're interested in a quote.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the Lomax on my truck. It removed easily if needed and has been watertight thus far. The only downside is the exposed aluminum edges. I wish the finish went all the way around.
Yeah the poly urethane on mine mostly covers it but its still somewhat visible.

Love mine tho, can fit tons of gear in the truck and can even have some poke up into it no issue.
And can take jt off in less than a min for offroading or just need it off.

Had it for about half a year and every wash i use some armor all or 303 on the rubbers to keep em good.
No rattles or anything so far and is pretty water tight in fl.
Only leaks were from the tailgate but some addl cheap rubber fixed that

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the bakflip Mx4 that I got installed and bought with my bedliner. Line-X gives you free installation and a lifetime warranty instead of the normal like 3-5 year warranty. It’s solid and very stealthy looking. You can use the whole bed too if you need to.
The dealership installed the backflip for me. I’ve never had it. I’ve always done the revolver like top. The backflip is awesome and water tight. Love the choice. I was really on the fence too.

TanneRd

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the DiamondbackHD or anything in the Diamondback offerings? They are probably a little heavier than most folks would want but seem like they are installed and removed fairly quick/easily if you need 100% bed access for hauling a quad or something like that.

cammac50

Reaction score
I have the 270, Love it. Had to reinforce the toolboxes, I had (and still have) around 50 lbs. in them (each) and a little off-road they cracked at the seams. But the top is heavy duty and secured. The rear folds flat and you have 1/2 the bed and include an AMP bed extender and I'm good to go. I've tried to find out if my 2018 will fit on my Gen 3 - R (on order 10/22) Diamond says no, but I've seen post that say yes, guess I'll find out myself. I do know that the few "new" Diamondback covers I've seen are not made as well as the one I have (seem thinner material). I will try and fit the one I have before a buying a "new" one or maybe look at other options. I know, some for show - some for work. But dang it I want the work cover!

Last edited: