Bed tent recommendations/experiences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Once I get my Raptor, my wife really wants to do some camping in it. She's hooked on the idea of a bed tent for the bed of the Raptor. I don't really understand why - I already have a truck and we could have had a bed tent 10 years ago, plus we have a few normal tents, but whatever - if it gets her wanting to camp I'll roll with it. :waytogo:

So, I have a few questions. First, any recommendations? I'm looking at something like this.

Second, I want to have a roll-away style Tonneau cover on the truck - probably a Pace Edwards Full Metal Jack Rabbit. Will these two items be able to coexist?

Also, what size air mattress is the best fit for the Raptor bed?

Thanks!

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
IMHO a Roof Top Tent is the way to go.
They are a bit more expensive but they come with bedding inside, open in minutes (even in bad weather) and even offer a standing changing area if you mount the tent on the roof and not over the bed. These tents are also designed specifically for off road conditions and are built to last. If your only expecting to be camping in perfect weather for extended periods then the bed tent should do just fine. If you grab one let us know how it works out!

I just ordered the Ironman Off Road Tent from Sierra Expeditions and I'll be doing a full review...

rooftop_tent1.jpg

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once I get my Raptor, my wife really wants to do some camping in it. She's hooked on the idea of a bed tent for the bed of the Raptor. I don't really understand why - I already have a truck and we could have had a bed tent 10 years ago, plus we have a few normal tents, but whatever - if it gets her wanting to camp I'll roll with it. :waytogo:

So, I have a few questions. First, any recommendations? I'm looking at something like this.

Second, I want to have a roll-away style Tonneau cover on the truck - probably a Pace Edwards Full Metal Jack Rabbit. Will these two items be able to coexist?

Also, what size air mattress is the best fit for the Raptor bed?

Thanks!

I have looked a bed tents and find them to restrictive, no way would 2 people be happy in a bed tent in our 5.5 ft bed. I sleep in my bed all the time when I go hunting, but I have a bedrug.

As far as a retractable cover, the majority here (including myself) have the Retrax. I do not see how you could use the 2 together.

As far as an air mattress, I would think a double would fit nicely, I think a queen might be too wide with the rear wheel wells.

:peace:

LVdezertdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck Bedz are a great product, I have used those with the Napier truck tent combination many times in my full size Dodge. The 5.5 bed for truck bedz is currently on backorder. Good luck in your choice

doubledarrell

Reaction score
Here's what I got. Have not had a chance to try it yet, but the dimesions fit the bed nicely with the tailgate down (squeezed in the middle a bit). Got some spare elastic cord and plan on securing the rainfly over the bed sides. Truckbedz to fit inside once the tent is up.

Eureka Timberline 2 Tent - Camping Tents

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

PS

Tried the Kodiak truck tent and sent it back. Great idea, but it just did not fit the Raptor. Spent over an hour messin with it and still could not get it to fit right.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
Here's what I got. Have not had a chance to try it yet, but the dimesions fit the bed nicely with the tailgate down (squeezed in the middle a bit). Got some spare elastic cord and plan on securing the rainfly over the bed sides. Truckbedz to fit inside once the tent is up.

Eureka Timberline 2 Tent - Camping Tents

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

PS

Tried the Kodiak truck tent and sent it back. Great idea, but it just did not fit the Raptor. Spent over an hour messin with it and still could not get it to fit right.

Why is that green one so expensive!?

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've given this a ton of thought too. I really like the theory, but last time out I got a serious dose of reality that pretty well ended the bed tent idea for me; I had a gas can leak in the bed. It wasn't much, maybe a couple tablespoons? But that stuff spreads like crazy and holy hell does it stink. No way I'd want to sleep anywhere near it.

I keep coming back to my TentCot. To me, its basically the right compromise between being off the ground (a huge deal for me) and not having to clear out my bed of stuff/smells/nastyness just to bed down. Oh and it sets up and comes down in a couple minutes too.

Check 'em out if you haven't already. I use the two person extra large version and find it has enough room for me my wife and dog to fit relatively comfortably.