Bed Rugs - Would you do it again?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

murphyraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the spray in liner with the bed rug mat. Works great for changing into my dirt bike gear and soft on the knee when crawling around on it.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happy with my bedrug and echo a lot of what has been said. I have some recovery equip and an Aux battery mounted on top of mine so I didn't bother with the velcro and haven't missed it. Running a retrax cover.

Without the velcro, it is easy to prop it up from time to time to clean and dry under it.

G8R-RPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been happy with my bedrug and will definitely do again. I’ve never hauled dirt, but had no problems hauling light construction debris. I also have retrax pro which does leak a bit. Never had an issue with smell.

jeenyus

Reaction score
Depends on your usage of the truck. Like others have said, if you haul any dirt, rocks, mulch, etc, it's not the best. I bought my last platinum used and it had a bedrug previously installed. I liked it at first. My first complaint was that the velcro doesn't hold in some places and the sides started coming down by the tailgate. If you plan on hauling things on pallets occasionally, I'd recommend not getting one. They definitely don't slide very well on the rug, which makes it challenging when they have to be loaded or unloaded using a forklift. I constantly had the pallets catch on the rug and pretty early on, had the rug tear in a few places from this. Also, newer versions may have fixed this issue, but on mine, the gap between the bed and tailgate was covered. As in the bedrug went straight from the bed to tailgate all in one piece. Initially, I thought this was great, but that extra fabric in there when closing the tailgate was too thick. I'd have to push in on the top of the tailgate while pulling the handle to get it to unlatch. That one may not be everyone's experience though. If you put nothing back there but gear and luggage and that sort of thing, I think I would have really liked it, but if you use it as a work truck regularly, it's not really the way to go.

Kojack19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a bed rug in my Gen 1 and a bed mat in my Gen 2. I like the Mat more than the rug on the sides and tailgate. They are a pain in the but to get sand out of-I surf and therefore there is a ton of sand that get back there with boards, beach chairs wetsuits etc but they are easy on the knees and protect my stuff back there.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a bedrug twenty years ago and loved it. The foam was this dense gray stuff and the carpet was thick and tight. It weighed a ton but it was plush. It was bulletproof. I bought one last year and it's kinda pitiful. When I picked the box up off my front porch, I seriously thought it was empty. The foam is more air than foam, with huge bubbles, and the carpet is thin. I've got several holes in it already with light use. Had I known, I'd have gone for a rubber mat and added some outdoor carpeting when I go camping. My guess is that someone bought the company and went full Chinese on the product. If you want carpet and aren't going to beat on it, it might work for you.

JerseyMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a bedrug twenty years ago and loved it. The foam was this dense gray stuff and the carpet was thick and tight. It weighed a ton but it was plush. It was bulletproof. I bought one last year and it's kinda pitiful. When I picked the box up off my front porch, I seriously thought it was empty. The foam is more air than foam, with huge bubbles, and the carpet is thin. I've got several holes in it already with light use. Had I known, I'd have gone for a rubber mat and added some outdoor carpeting when I go camping. My guess is that someone bought the company and went full Chinese on the product. If you want carpet and aren't going to beat on it, it might work for you.
darn, I planned on bed rug for mine....I had the bed rug mat a few years back and it was nice (I even kept it and cut it to fit the gladiator I have now....maybe I'm light on it or maybe it is the old version

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
darn, I planned on bed rug for mine....I had the bed rug mat a few years back and it was nice (I even kept it and cut it to fit the gladiator I have now....maybe I'm light on it or maybe it is the old version
The foam on the old one was light gray with no visible air bubbles. The new one is much darker and the bubbles are on the order of an eighth inch. It’s acceptable for light use and camping and I expect to sell the truck before I wear it out. Not as nice on the knees but ok. Part of my dissatisfaction is my high expectations. I should have known when the price was the same as it was twenty years ago.