Bed lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
i put strips under the bed rails and i have a magnetic switch so when my tailgate is open, the lights are on. also have lights to light up the tailgate step......... hunting accident......

Whats this magnetic switch you talk about lol. Seems like a good idea.

Ended up ordering the Nilite kit from Amazon that has the remote to control them. Still planning on mounting them up under the bed rails to keep them safe. The plan also is to still wire them up to one of my 6 overhead switches so they can be turned on and off from the cab if I accidentally leave them on, but to mount the remote with some magnets to one of my swing cases so if I'm camping or sleeping in the bed I can change the colors and turn them on and off from inside or outside the bed with the remote.
Those are the ones i have in my Amazon cart. Let me know how they are when you get them.

I went to get groceries out of the bed one night and couldn’t see if I forgot something with out a flashlight lol

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whats this magnetic switch you talk about lol. Seems like a good idea.

Those are the ones i have in my Amazon cart. Let me know how they are when you get them.

I went to get groceries out of the bed one night and couldn’t see if I forgot something with out a flashlight lol

Yea, I plan on posting up the install and how I like them. I've gotta do some re-organizing of things in the bed since I'm going to the Softopper, so I'll be pulling all of the equipment out and re-locating some things.

darthmcvayder

Reaction score

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like your setup. Which particular strip did you get off that site? And did you just mount them with adhesive or what?
I believe I used the 4 ft w/switches, I've had them a long time and don't remember exactly. They have lasted longer than I thought they would considering they were not waterproof.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put strips under the bed rails and i have a magnetic switch so when my tailgate is open, the lights are on. also have lights to light up the tailgate step......... hunting accident......
Link to buy? This is what I was after - comes on automatically when you open!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Link to buy? This is what I was after - comes on automatically when you open!
need directed part pn8600. its a magnetic switch. dont get the pn8601 though. it has screw on contacts that corrode. as for the strips, they are all pretty much the same now. get the ones that are weather proof but dont have the silicone housing.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Finally started the install on this. Previously on my Limited I had a kit mounted to the plastic inward facing part of the bed rails and found quickly that they would get damaged, so the current strips are mounted up under the bed rails with the 3M double sided tape.

I haven't 100% decided yet on how I want to run them. They do come with a controller and remote that you can turn them on and off with or change the settings. I'm thinking I may power them a couple ways. First would be a power feed hooked up to a magnetic switch on the tailgate that turns them on and off automatically when the tailgate is lowered or closed. You could also then just turn them off with the remote with the tailgate down if you're hauling something. Second would be a power feed hooked up to the overhead switch switch panel that would allow them to be used with the tailgate closed if you're camping in the bed and again the remote could be used to turn them on and off from there too. If for some reason you found you left them on with the gate closed you could simply just turn the switch off.

Thoughts?