Bed cover drain holes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kashoggio

Lives in a van down by the river.
Reaction score
2CDB2CD9-D8B0-4842-9EAA-CFCDF70CD739.jpeg routed them to the side top holes, no issues with water .

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 143570 routed them to the side top holes, no issues with water .
I swear you just took a pic of my truck. LOL I (obviously) did the same exact installation and works great for me.

I don’t like running the tubes all the way down to the bottom plugs. I have a big Plano storage box that I keep up front and wouldn’t want the box (or anything else) to slide up and crimp or damage the drain tubes.

dmb359

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you guys cut the tube short and just feed the end into that side hole? Or did you feed some of the tube length into the side hole?

I was thinking of doing this too. I was going to see if there was some sort of elbow I could use instead of a sharply curved tube (like the one above) to avoid the curved trap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you guys cut the tube short and just feed the end into that side hole? Or did you feed some of the tube length into the side hole?
Good question. I ended up cutting the end of the tube so that it just slips into the drain hole as I didnt want to create another 90 degree bend downward. While it's a sharp 90 degree bend, and it takes a bit to get the hose to bend to this angle, it's worked very well so far.

Also, just like Kashoggio's picture shows, my tube also has a downward bend - just like a plumbing trap. I've kept a close eye on it to ensure water doesn't build up and get nasty. So far so good.

dmb359

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question. I ended up cutting the end of the tube so that it just slips into the drain hole as I didnt want to create another 90 degree bend downward. While it's a sharp 90 degree bend, and it takes a bit to get the hose to bend to this angle, it's worked very well so far.

Also, just like Kashoggio's picture shows, my tube also has a downward bend - just like a plumbing trap. I've kept a close eye on it to ensure water doesn't build up and get nasty. So far so good.
I ended up cutting the tube short, and in order to avoid the curved "trap", I just reversed it. I put the flex section over the piece from the cover, and put the straight end into the hole in the side of the bed. It allowed the tube to flex/curve over to the side of the bed quicker. Seems to work well.

8f2198b56b666d6ece85bd8d4ba2c4fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FWIW- this is why I’m all set w/ these low-pro looking back flip type tonneaus...isn’t the idea of a tonneau cover first & foremost to keep your stuff outta the weather? And yet they all admittedly leak so need the water re-routed

I had a gator brand (basically same thing as bakflip) on my Chevy truck for few years- looked cool, then started having the composite middle of part of the panels separate from the AL portion & the weather stripping in between the panels got loose to the point it was not doing much at all- if I wanted to rip em off by hand I could’ve.

lastly- and this is the only reason I’m chiming in- I found that the tubes that came w/ the tonneau got clogged up & started stinking like mold in summer so I wound up cutting & fitting a larger diameter tube that helped w/ the clogging.

Now I just went w/ a roll up cover that sits on the rails like an old man, don’t look as cool- but stuff stays dry ;-)