Bed Cap / Camper Shell Photos and Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 370787

Mine is similar to this: Leer 100xq sport.
(Not my truck pictured, but this is a better pic of the cap).
I had the Leer 100XQ Sport and had all kinds of problems with the "spoiler" preventing it from opening all the way, then fracturing, and the lip seal on tailgate rubbing all the paint off. Leer and the dealer wanted nothing to do with it or warrantying their work, which led to me selling the truck unfortunately. Leer has always been my go to, but I'd personally recommend the 100XQ not the sport. Hopefully your experience has been better.

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had the Leer 100XQ Sport and had all kinds of problems with the "spoiler" preventing it from opening all the way, then fracturing, and the lip seal on tailgate rubbing all the paint off. Leer and the dealer wanted nothing to do with it or warrantying their work, which led to me selling the truck unfortunately. Leer has always been my go to, but I'd personally recommend the 100XQ not the sport. Hopefully your experience has been better.
I’ve had it for 3 1/2 years and also the 100 xq on a previous truck. I did have some initial paint issues, but my dealer got it warrantied and had it repainted.
I bring mine into the dealer once a year to have them tighten everything down.
Family owned truck accessory shop, takes good care of their customers.
Truck cap manufacturing leaves a lot to be desired, but a good dealer can make it better. Even the smartcap users have some assembly issues, read the reviews.
(On a $5000 cap, no less).

Slacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
R

rfc805

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did anyone disable their power tailgate when they installed a cap? Seems the tailgate does not have any sort of resistance sensing, so guessing if it actually got activated with a cap on, some very bad things would follow.

Bruichladdie

Reaction score
Did anyone disable their power tailgate when they installed a cap? Seems the tailgate does not have any sort of resistance sensing, so guessing if it actually got activated with a cap on, some very bad things would follow.
I didn't have to when I had my RSI on there or with my GFC. The biggest thing is you have open the back hatch before closing the tailgate. All vendors will recommend that.
I liked the RSi but when hard offroading, didn't know if it would last. Went with the GFC and I love it a lot more. It's not simply bolted together like the RSI (which I had several back out on me) and the side access is easier. I will say I think the RSI was better about being dust sealed.

OP
OP
R

rfc805

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my concern there is with the strength of the tailgate motor and the fact it seems to have no resistance safety - I think it will rip the door off your cap if you were to accidentally hit the tailgate open with the cap door latched shut.

I put a 200lb gorilla against it and pressed the open button, and it very easily moved said 200lb gorilla out of the way.

MORaptor1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back from the dead. Any gen 3 guys with a ARE CX REVO? I’m about to pull trigger. The raptor is about the only truck I would second guess putting one on….but a truck is simply the best vehicle, period, with one.