Bed Cap / Camper Shell Photos and Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rfc805

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So there are definitely some photos scattered about of bed caps / camper shells on the Gen 3, but hoping we can maybe get a thread with some comparisons in one place. I've been looking at what I can see, and trying to decide what I'd go for. The RSI SmartCap seems "popular", which makes sense - and looks good. For me, with the 37PP and how tall the vehicle is, the RSI looks like it actually sits maybe 1-2" higher than the cab height, and I think that would be a deal breaker for me (or rather, low hanging structures). I saw someone else with pictures of a Snugtop Rebel - but from the photos I saw, the design looked a little goofy to me (the extended rounded rear top just didn't seem to fit the vehicle at all).

Who's got what, and what do they love/hate about it?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't have a photo, but I do have an opinion. :)

I hate how toppers look on pickups. That said, I had a topper for 35 years because I slept in the back when I went camping. I just couldn't do it to my Raptor, so I got a tonneau instead. I had switched to sleeping on a cot anyway, and only slept in the bed when it was raining. What I found was that I prefer sleeping under the tonneau to sleeping under the cap. It's nice and dark. But mostly I sleep on my cot. Now that's some comfy camping. Unless you have a good reason for wanting a cap, I'd rethink my approach. But that's based on my opinion of subjective looks. And it's worth every penny you paid for it.

OP
OP
R

rfc805

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a photo, but I do have an opinion. :)

I hate how toppers look on pickups. That said, I had a topper for 35 years because I slept in the back when I went camping. I just couldn't do it to my Raptor, so I got a tonneau instead. I had switched to sleeping on a cot anyway, and only slept in the bed when it was raining. What I found was that I prefer sleeping under the tonneau to sleeping under the cap. It's nice and dark. But mostly I sleep on my cot. Now that's some comfy camping. Unless you have a good reason for wanting a cap, I'd rethink my approach. But that's based on my opinion of subjective looks. And it's worth every penny you paid for it.
Yup - for me, I regularly haul a lot of stuff that is too much to fit under a tonneau, but also needs to be at least nominally locked up and protected from elements. Weather here is crap, and dealing with a tarp or something constantly is no good. Especially with the 5.5ft bed, need that height. If I didn't need to, I wouldn't bother for sure.

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have any issues with the Smartcap. As you can see in the side shot of the red Raptor, the Smartcap sits no taller than the antenna fin on the roof but seems relatively flush with the roof. I'd be happy to help you with any questions you have about them. We're the #1 Smartcap dealer in the US and tend to get them shipped out quicker than most. We have some of the Evo Adventure in stock which is the Smartcap with doulbe walled steel gullwings with molle panels on the side instead of windows.
D446E557-9771-4B26-AC00-321284168BD1.jpg5A90FB51-C135-4DE7-894F-F8EF16B52D74 (2).jpg

OP
OP
R

rfc805

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Nick - it's at the top of my list, in the photos, it does look like the rails sit about 1" or so higher than the shark fin. That may just be angles, do you know for sure? My main concern is I have to clear a 7'2" entry that's down a hill, and with the 37PP I know it's already going to be VERY close. It might be a matter of 1" or so at the "break over" for lack of a better description.

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Nick - it's at the top of my list, in the photos, it does look like the rails sit about 1" or so higher than the shark fin. That may just be angles, do you know for sure? My main concern is I have to clear a 7'2" entry that's down a hill, and with the 37PP I know it's already going to be VERY close. It might be a matter of 1" or so at the "break over" for lack of a better description.
I'll reach out to RSI and find out for you so we can be absolutely sure you get what you want.

quadmaster922

Reaction score
So there are definitely some photos scattered about of bed caps / camper shells on the Gen 3, but hoping we can maybe get a thread with some comparisons in one place. I've been looking at what I can see, and trying to decide what I'd go for. The RSI SmartCap seems "popular", which makes sense - and looks good. For me, with the 37PP and how tall the vehicle is, the RSI looks like it actually sits maybe 1-2" higher than the cab height, and I think that would be a deal breaker for me (or rather, low hanging structures). I saw someone else with pictures of a Snugtop Rebel - but from the photos I saw, the design looked a little goofy to me (the extended rounded rear top just didn't seem to fit the vehicle at all).

Who's got what, and what do they love/hate about it?
I put an etrax remote controlled tonneau cover, best in my book, 3k installed

Attachments

• D1F60D13-46EE-4B28-A4A7-C6C566794048.jpeg
    D1F60D13-46EE-4B28-A4A7-C6C566794048.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 7F704B39-C004-483F-A316-0E83F8A64369.jpeg
    7F704B39-C004-483F-A316-0E83F8A64369.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 50

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what I got from our RSI rep is that the cap from the bed rails to the top of the roof vent (which is the highest point on the cap) is 21.6535". From there just measure your truck from the bed rails to the top of the fin and you'll have your answer.

choppersando

Reaction score
I have a Go Fast camper on my gen 3 and I couldn’t be more happy with it, both side panels open up to quickly grab whatever I need from the bed and I can still fit a dirbike in the bed with topper on. Couldn’t recommend them anymore. Fantastic people with a fantastic design.423BEDFD-DA5D-4E0D-8382-F0822C95CDD7.jpeg