Bed bolts for rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So ill be installing the recently picked up SDHQ rack and wanna be prepared.
Torque plus TP50
Remove all bedliner from on and around bolt heads
Hit them the best I can with some lube
Going to pick up some KHC bed bolts to go back in with.
Anything else? For those that have removed the bed bolts?
Thanks for yall time and help again...
Jake

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I remember the instructions I saw previously said something about using -apologies, I’ve forgotten it and I’m drawing a blank, but something like “liquid wrench” and let it sit overnight after dousing each bolt thoroughly. Honestly, I don’t know how effective this can be since I can’t get access to the bolt threads from above and hitting it from below just bounces right off and the remainder drips to the garage floor.

The big thing is to break those bolts loose carefully, use a breaker bar if need be but, make sure to maintain the seating depth and alignment of that torx bit at all times. I seem to recall the torque spec is like 55 foot pounds(?) I had to apply -SIGNFICANTLY- more than 55 foot pounds to remove those factory bolts. I’m talking 4’ breaker bar and I am far from out of shape. You probably already read of my tale of woe, so you’ll probably be fine.

Good luck and pictures, or you’re really mounting a bike rick to a prius :p

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup slow and easy out. NO power tools.

I applied some anti seize when I put mine back in so they could be removed in the future if wanted...

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember the instructions I saw previously said something about using -apologies, I’ve forgotten it and I’m drawing a blank, but something like “liquid wrench” and let it sit overnight after dousing each bolt thoroughly. Honestly, I don’t know how effective this can be since I can’t get access to the bolt threads from above and hitting it from below just bounces right off and the remainder drips to the garage floor.

The big thing is to break those bolts loose carefully, use a breaker bar if need be but, make sure to maintain the seating depth and alignment of that torx bit at all times. I seem to recall the torque spec is like 55 foot pounds(?) I had to apply -SIGNFICANTLY- more than 55 foot pounds to remove those factory bolts. I’m talking 4’ breaker bar and I am far from out of shape. You probably already read of my tale of woe, so you’ll probably be fine.

Good luck and pictures, or you’re really mounting a bike rick to a prius :p
Yes sir. Plan Is to use my breaker bar till the get going and then hopefully switch over to my ratchet. 4 bolt...
Yes I believe I read 59 foot pounds on KHC site.
Of course pics will follow when I have the rack Installed on top of the prius. Should look good up there with a couple 37s!

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup slow and easy out. NO power tools.

I applied some anti seize when I put mine back in so they could be removed in the future if wanted...
Gotcha. So keep my high torque 1/2" Milwaukee impact in its case. Noted!
Also have me some anti-sieze when going back with the new bolts from KHC.
Thanks

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep looks like ya did your homework. I also got khc bolts cause I was tired of buying new OEMs after the 3rd time I had to remove my rack.

TexasAggie94

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep looks like ya did your homework. I also got khc bolts cause I was tired of buying new OEMs after the 3rd time I had to remove my rack.
ALCON, in what scenario would I need to purchase the KHC Standard versus KHC Extended Length bed bolts. if I am considering the install of the SDHQ Modular Chase Rack.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ALCON, in what scenario would I need to purchase the KHC Standard versus KHC Extended Length bed bolts. if I am considering the install of the SDHQ Modular Chase Rack.
I went with the extended. My thoughts were im adding the rack so needed longer bolts. But of course I haven't installed my rack yet. But have everything except for the 2 spares to go in it.

Attachments

• 20210714_120432.jpg
    20210714_120432.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 27