Bed Bolt D-Ring Tie Down Points AT COST

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Talbor

Talbor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, I don’t see how though. The bolt head is a ‘shallow’ design. There isn’t much to grab on to, and, it’s not a perfectly straight shot. Did I mention this thing is in there like got Miracled([emoji769]) it in? So far, I’m seeing options as

drill it and try to extract with an easy out
grind a slot into it and pry it out - local mech is championing this idea. I don’t know that he’s grasped how well this bolt is “in”.
Grind sides down to be able to get a wrench on it.
Well a t55 torx to the bolt head.

The bolts aren’t exposed, and I’m at a loss as to how to get any kind of penetrating oil, or spray to work on them.

I think the drill / easy out method has the highest chance for success personally, but I’m probably going to pay my local guy, who has expressed great confidence even after eyeing it.

Man - sorry you’re having such a tough time with the install. Are you using a T55 Torx or a T55 Torx PLUS bit? I posted a link to the PLUS bit on my original post - they’re a little bigger than the T55. If you use a T55, you’re likely to strip out the bolt. You might get lucky, but I’d go ahead and spend the extra few bucks on the right bit. I’ve taken my bed bolts on and off a dozen or so times and have had no issue with the T55 PLUS.

Drill out and extract should be easy. There’s not too much torque on these bolts.

Just want to let everyone know that I haven’t forgotten about them. I’m still setting up the new house and shop (had some medical issues that delayed me a couple months), so these are on the back burner. I’ll be doing a large order soon, so be on the lookout for a PM to see if you’re still interested.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Man - sorry you’re having such a tough time with the install. Are you using a T55 Torx or a T55 Torx PLUS bit? I posted a link to the PLUS bit on my original post - they’re a little bigger than the T55. If you use a T55, you’re likely to strip out the bolt. You might get lucky, but I’d go ahead and spend the extra few bucks on the right bit. I’ve taken my bed bolts on and off a dozen or so times and have had no issue with the T55 PLUS.

Drill out and extract should be easy. There’s not too much torque on these bolts.

Just want to let everyone know that I haven’t forgotten about them. I’m still setting up the new house and shop (had some medical issues that delayed me a couple months), so these are on the back burner. I’ll be doing a large order soon, so be on the lookout for a PM to see if you’re still interested.

@Talbor : please, this is 100% not any of your doing. In fact, the complete opposite. You’re the reason FRF has great potential for all of us here.

I definitely got the plus bit: read the posts and took the suggestions. My suspicion is that I did not manage to clean out the ‘head’ of bolt number 2, the one I stripped, all the way. I think the bit did not seat all the way into the head of the bolt. Although it felt like it was all the way in, I don’t think it was. That, plus the bolts in my bed are way, way, way over 55 foot pounds. The first bolt I got out, I needed a 3 foot breaker bar. That should’ve been a clue.

I got 5 out of 6 installed... just have to do some extra work to get the last one. :)

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I finally got bolt 6 replaced and the last D ring in place.

The culprit:
IMG_3867.jpg

So, if this happens to you; that is, you get a bolt that feels like it doesn’t want to budge, the front 2 bolts are exposed underneath the truck. Hose them down with penetrating oil. If you have a spray in bed liner, make sure you have a good bite on the bolt head with the torx.

If you think you may be able to extract it with an easy-out, resist that temptation ! This bolt laughed out loud from the heavens at my easy out as it snapped in 2. I couldn’t find anything to get a good enough bite on this thing, and was going to suggest they weld a nut on to it but my local mech. used an air chisel to get this out.

These D rings are going to be great for hauling stuff. Thanks again @Talbor!
(yeah, now I’m looking for excuses to use those big, honking tie down straps).

gtxracer

Reaction score
I'll take 4 of these whenever they're available again! Outstanding idea, I've needed these for a long time!

mpk1996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in for 6

When are they going to be available again?

Swamp Fox

Reaction score
@Talbor : please, this is 100% not any of your doing. In fact, the complete opposite. You’re the reason FRF has great potential for all of us here.

I definitely got the plus bit: read the posts and took the suggestions. My suspicion is that I did not manage to clean out the ‘head’ of bolt number 2, the one I stripped, all the way. I think the bit did not seat all the way into the head of the bolt. Although it felt like it was all the way in, I don’t think it was. That, plus the bolts in my bed are way, way, way over 55 foot pounds. The first bolt I got out, I needed a 3 foot breaker bar. That should’ve been a clue.

I got 5 out of 6 installed... just have to do some extra work to get the last one. :)
55 ft/lbs. I have been looking for that number everywhere. I am pretty sure I way over torqued mine after removing them for the spray in bed liner.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
If there is even the slightest chance you might ever remove these again, do it now preemptively and hit the threads with either some white lithium grease or anti-seize.

Status
Not open for further replies.