Be prepared for the worst. Off-road accidents.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I'm really bummed for Chris, the guys at RPG, Kirk, and the guys at Stewart's. I know how much work everyone put into this truck, and how much passion they all had for it. Hell Chris has to be really passionate to have this truck built, and almost have zero time in it. It's awesome that no one was hurt, trucks can be replaced, good people can't.

All that being said, I think a good lesson for everyone that's building up their Raptors can be learned from this.

If you can't afford to push it off a cliff at the end of the day, you can't afford to own it.

Insurance generally doesn't cover things that happen off-road. They do their research too, I promise you, they get on social media. So if you wreck your truck off-road, be prepared to pay. Even if you get the truck covered, they're not covering the modifications you have done to it. I know this from experience with my wreck. I got lucky, and no modifications except my headlights, and Rigid bar got damaged. But if I lost mods, it would have been out of my pocket.

As Raptor owners push the limits of their trucks, and the limits of their skill further and further, we're going to see more wrecked trucks. Be prepared, it can happen to you.

Do you have good extinguishers? Are they well mounted and easy to get to? Do you know what situations to use them in, and when to get the hell away?

Where is your first aid kit? Did you just buy one from walmart, or did you build it yourself with quality components that can actually save lives? Are you trained to use it?

How's everything tied down? In the event of a roll over, is something going to nail you in the head just because it wasn't strapped down right?

Are your mods installed correctly? When's the last time you torqued everything down?

How's your head? Having a bad day? week? year? It can effect your driving. On the other end, are you all amped up and driving beyond your ability? It will catch up with you fast. Trust me, I know.

Do you know where your going? If not, that's ok, just drive knowing that you don't know how tight that blind corner is, if there is a dog launcher in the middle of it, or a giant boulder in the middle of a Y?

In someone's dust? Slow down and wait. IMHO, if you can see the Raptor in front of you, you're way too close. (This doesn't apply so much in slow speed situations though).

Speaking of the Raptor in front of you? Is he marking corners for you? Are you doing the same for the guy behind you?

Is your radio on? Do you know how to use it properly? Is your antenna tuned? Good power source? Do you know good radio etiquette?

I could go on and on about this. Everyone needs to be safe, be prepared, and be ready to lose out on all of your hard earned money and time if you wreck off-road. It can happen, really quickly. and I am sure the handful of guys it has happened to will agree with me.

Yes I know that the LPR fire was a mechanical failure, and it had nothing to do with being off-road, but it just goes to show that things really can go wrong at any time. BE PREPARED!

RPG

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
All great points Trey I couldn't have said it better my self. As much as I love social media and all this stuff, sometimes certain things need to stay under the radar when it comes to the insurance companies. I know first hand via my own deposition with my ex insurance companies attorneys that they absolutely 100% can get all the info they need from this very forum.

Whats most important is all the other points you made. Things can go wrong quick, and we are all best served in being over prepared when offroading. The advice Trey gave is why I believe so much in the events he puts on. Trey and his staff know how to react, they know what to do in a bad situation and you know that even if you are an idiot for just a few really bad seconds, people like Trey and the his staff will be right there to do what ever needs to be done to ensure your safety.

Listen to his advice, he knows his shit.

Jarrett

Macman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great post, its easy to drop money on mods and just assume the truck can handle everything thrown at it. Good reality check.

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great points. Ive felt that these and the Trail Ethics/Common Courtesy points that Kaiser put up, would be good things to plan on covering whenever we run. If it was just decided, by the organizer of any run, to ensure a specific time to discuss something they felt qualified to discuss, with the group. Maybe even ask someone else to cover a topic.

I'm not suggesting a major training event. for instance; this last run to Reno/Tahoe, we had a few Raptors lined up on the roof of the Silver Legacy. A perfect time to discuss/show things to check prior to going out. Wouldn't need to be long. Just needs to be planned so that someone knows they need to be there to show, and the rest of us know it happening.

Just an idea.

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Even if you get the truck covered, they're not covering the modifications you have done to it.

You can have whatever you want scheduled, or added to the policy separately. It just means you're going to be paying more money for the insurance.

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
You can have whatever you want scheduled, or added to the policy separately. It just means you're going to be paying more money for the insurance.

I have done extensive research on this. You can schedule anything you want, odds are it won't be covered off-road. My prerunner policy specifically excludes anything off-road related.

Basically it covers the truck while it's sitting in the driveway, or being trailered.

I have spoken to numerous race teams that have similar insurance. Yes they will insure it, no they won't cover it if you *** it up off-road.

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can see how they might cop out like that. Didn't mean to detract from your post/thread any either; good points.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any runs should include a basic safety informational speech to get everyone on the same page. Don't assume all the bolts are tight all caps for fluids tight, actually check them and have a person in charge of seeing everyone does it. Safety is no accident, I know pun.. But it really is true that when the vehicle is in motion an expert driver in complete control of everything they do only need one second of lapse with something unexpected and catastrophe. I have pushed that while off road you should wear head protection of some type, A pillars are just not soft and bounce your skull against it and your going to get a concussion. I would encourage anyone planning an off road adventure require head protection. At the end of the trip we all want and most need to go home to work. You can not do that if your in a trauma center with your brain turned to scrambled eggs..... Just wear a god dam helmet...... Please...

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Ive felt that these and the Trail Ethics/Common Courtesy points that Kaiser put up, would be good things to plan on covering whenever we run. If it was just decided, by the organizer of any run, to ensure a specific time to discuss something they felt qualified to discuss, with the group. Maybe even ask someone else to cover a topic.
Here is the thread with the full versions of the articles:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f67/trail-ethics-common-courtesy-27146/