Be my voice of reason please. Can I really afford the Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timjitsu

Reaction score
I need some different perspectives. I'm about a month out from placing my order so I'm starting to do some serious thinking about if I really can afford the raptor. I took my my monthly household income, and subtracted all my utilities rounded up to $100. Meaning my electric bill is usually $40-$50 but i subtracted $100. Gas is $20 but still subtracted $100 and so on. I subtracted every other expense (current truck payment, insurance, gas (x2 normal just in case we decide to drive somewhere for the weekend), groceries, and rent). I even subtracted $1000 for savings.

After all that I'm still left with $2300 a month. My payment on the raptor will likely be around $800. My insurance will probably go up $50 a month. So if I took on an extra expense of $850, I'll be left with $1,450 for personal expenses like eating out, entertainment etc.

Do you guys think I'm safe in getting the Raptor? Give me your perspective please.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Math-Memes-16.jpg

BudTX

Reaction score
Are you putting a minimum of 10% of your gross income into a 401k or similar retirement investment plan?

Do you have at least 6 months of living expense set aside in a savings account in case of emergency?

If you have children, are you putting money aside for their future educations?

What are the terms behind that $800 per month Raptor payment?

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll have to put down about $25k to get around $800 a month payment. With nothing down, I think you'll be looking at somewhere around $1200 a month on a $70k truck....I could be wrong.

OP
OP
T

timjitsu

Reaction score
Are you putting a minimum of 10% of your gross income into a 401k or similar retirement investment plan?

Do you have at least 6 months of living expense set aside in a savings account in case of emergency?

If you have children, are you putting money aside for their future educations?

What are the terms behind that $800 per month Raptor payment?

My wife's take home is after her 401k is taken out, and I have a profit sharing my employer adds about $5,000 to every year.

I have about 4 months expenses saved for emergencies.

We have 1 child with college savings account. We put $100 a month away.

Payment breakdown:

Total Cost with add-on's, Destinations charge and sales tax: $59,450
Down Payment: $10,000
Financing $49,450 for 72 months at 5% gives me a payment of $796

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

You'll have to put down about $25k to get around $800 a month payment. With nothing down, I think you'll be looking at somewhere around $1200 a month on a $70k truck....I could be wrong.

I'm getting it for sticker and getting the 800A package with small add-on's like bed liner, remote start, and sub-woofer

Rakimb17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife's take home is after her 401k is taken out, and I have a profit sharing my employer adds about $5,000 to every year.

I have about 4 months expenses saved for emergencies.

We have 1 child with college savings account. We put $100 a month away.

Payment breakdown:

Total Cost with add-on's, Destinations charge and sales tax: $59,450
Down Payment: $10,000
Financing $49,450 for 72 months at 5% gives me a payment of $796

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

I'm getting it for sticker and getting the 800A package with small add-on's like bed liner, remote start, and sub-woofer

Five percent seems high. Even for 72 months. Should be around 3.5. Shop around some more.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Bottom line:

only you can make the decision. If you posted here looking for someone to talk you out of it, you’re f@@ked.

Tomorrow is promised to no-one.

Buy the Raptor, live your life.

smoothie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about a used Gen 1? I got one with only 35k miles in fantastic condition for $44k OTD.