Be careful out there.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sgt Beavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We hit Argentine Pass in Georgetown, CO last weekend. On the way out, it started raining pretty good and the dirt got loose near the drop offs. A CJ in front of us went off the road when the edge gave loose. He ran into, and knocked over, an Aspen. The driver and passenger were in their 70s and frankly they're lucky to be alive.

I was able to lift and move the tree out of the way. I couldn't extract their Jeep but I helped them out out and took them to the Georgetown police station to get help. Very nice people. Below is a clip of what happened. I'll post the full video later. I recommend going full screen to better see them falling off the road.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh NO!!!!!!!!!

Did the driver just fall asleep at the wheel? Looks like he had plenty of room to not hug the ledge so much.

Would need some pulleys to pull that back on trail.

Good job helping them out.

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The whole thing is making me rethink on getting a winch. I might at least get one to mount on the rear tow hitch. I hate to drop 4K on a proper front setup but I may end up doing that.

The scariest moment is when the passenger (elderly lady) opened her door. That was at least a 50' drop. Fortunately she was still belted and followed my instructions on getting out.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
A winch can be useful in many ways and I'm seriously thinking about purchasing one myself.

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s scary! Good job, Rick, helping out!

I just got back this morning from the Raptor Assault in Utah. I rented a Corolla and they offered me a Wrangler two door instead. I said whatever, sure. I go out there and it’s a brand new Rubicon. Suffice to say, after off-roading and playing with the Raptor at the school, I had fun with the Jeep on some of the same trails. I took a detour on a tighter trail and next thing I know I’m near the top of a pretty big ridge and I was a little scared. I don’t have a lot of off-road experience.

I can see why people like them. It’s a fun rig to drive around and really capable on the trails too. It had the 2.0L turbo four and it was a torquey good little engine for the Jeep.

Anyway, the Raptor is obviously bigger, more comfortable, smoother, quieter, more utility, etc.

5D77ABF7-96FF-480D-AD02-AD0AF565AE7B.jpeg

EC2262A0-42B5-4483-82AB-73E2777B63E3.jpeg

0FF9E50F-FF47-428E-BA9C-1A74C495CFAB.jpeg

7408DEDD-59CE-48EE-B0C1-525ABEAB10E2.jpeg