BD LP4 Pro installed on a-pillar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have XL80s @ 5.50 amps/per using switch 2 and these lights have had a steady diet of 15 amp fuses...4 so far. Your LP Pros are rated higher per light (6 amps) yet you’re not running a relay and having no issues. It seems unless I run a relay, they’ll keep chewing away at my 15 amp fuses. I’m puzzled as either switch 2 or 3 should be more than capable of handling the load without the need to run a relay. I was using the SPV A-pillar harness & connected everything to the T and still, no dice! Down to my last fuse, I’ve switched to the Baja harness that came with the lights, which has a relay attached, and all is well. The Baja harness is just long as all get up! Gotta chop that thing down as space is tight in the engine bay.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I have XL80s @ 5.50 amps/per using switch 2 and these lights have had a steady diet of 15 amp fuses...4 so far. Your LP Pros are rated higher per light (6 amps) yet you’re not running a relay and having no issues. It seems unless I run a relay, they’ll keep chewing away at my 15 amp fuses. I’m puzzled as either switch 2 or 3 should be more than capable of handling the load without the need to run a relay. I was using the SPV A-pillar harness & connected everything to the T and still, no dice! Down to my last fuse, I’ve switched to the Baja harness that came with the lights, which has a relay attached, and all is well. The Baja harness is just long as all get up! Gotta chop that thing down as space is tight in the engine bay.
I've notes that show a pair of XL80'S at 11.58 Amps which is still only 77% of 15A but maybe the amp draw is more when left on and the LED get hot.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

up fitter 1/2 are 15a each, and the up fitter wire is noticeably thicker. You’re right on the draw, so, if you’re popping fuses, something isn’t right. Check your harness and connections.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
up fitter 1/2 are 15a each, and the up fitter wire is noticeably thicker. You’re right on the draw, so, if you’re popping fuses, something isn’t right. Check your harness and connections.
Up fitters are different for Gen 3, @smurfslayer. 1 & 4 @ 10 amps, 2 & 3 @ 15 amps and so forth. I verified by connecting a set of fogs to switch 1, turned them on, and pulled the fuse...it’s 10 amps. My next door neighbor has a Gen 2 and we both checked (and double checked) that the connections were correct. I was using the A-pillar harness by SPV when it chewed through 4 15-amp fuses so there’s potential that it could be the harness. I don’t know at this point! You suppose @Specialtyperformanceparts would exchange my harness for another one?

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Thanks @Littlefx4 for the Jen Too / Jen Tres clarification and correction. I wonder what the rationale was for switching it up?

So, my up fitter mix up notwithstanding, your xl80s are currently on a 15a up fitter, correct?
A point of clarification: you’re chewing through --inline-- harness fuses, not the actual up fitter or truck circuit fuse, correct?

I’m sure they’d be willing to help with the harness. You should only need 2x 14 or 16 gauge multi-strand THHN/wire - check this I’m not looking at any resources. I’d be well tempted to run the wires myself, first before bugging the vendor.

I just went through this adding in my S1 lasers; mounted to the XL80s. In my haste, I grabbed the power off my S8 harness and threw the XL80’s on there too. Not remembering the harness only had a 20a fuse.

s8=12a
2x xl80s = 11a
12+2 + 2x S1 lasers > 20. :-(

Had to fix that obviously. I’ve got probably 3 full B/D harnesses from previous purchases, so I was able to whack a section to correct my error.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks @Littlefx4 for the Jen Too / Jen Tres clarification and correction. I wonder what the rationale was for switching it up?

So, my up fitter mix up notwithstanding, your xl80s are currently on a 15a up fitter, correct?
A point of clarification: you’re chewing through --inline-- harness fuses, not the actual up fitter or truck circuit fuse, correct?

I’m sure they’d be willing to help with the harness. You should only need 2x 14 or 16 gauge multi-strand THHN/wire - check this I’m not looking at any resources. I’d be well tempted to run the wires myself, first before bugging the vendor.

I just went through this adding in my S1 lasers; mounted to the XL80s. In my haste, I grabbed the power off my S8 harness and threw the XL80’s on there too. Not remembering the harness only had a 20a fuse.

s8=12a
2x xl80s = 11a
12+2 + 2x S1 lasers > 20. :-(

Had to fix that obviously. I’ve got probably 3 full B/D harnesses from previous purchases, so I was able to whack a section to correct my error.
To your 1st question, they are currently on a 15a up fitter. Your 2nd question, they were chewing up the 15a fuses (see pic) in the engine bay fuse box “when using the SPV a-pillar harness which does not have an inline/harness fuse.” Down to my last 15a fuse, I disconnected the SPV a-pillar harness and connected the Baja harness (in the box w/ XL80s) which has an inline fuse/relay connected and have no issues now. After reading John’s posts and watching his harness video, just thought the a-pillar harness would be all that I needed to run the XLs…on switch 2 or 3. It seems I need more than that harness!

Attachments

• 18FC7C48-DF90-4A46-B277-59E5BF25C2B1.jpeg
    18FC7C48-DF90-4A46-B277-59E5BF25C2B1.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 44

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Good news is you got it resolved. I agree, on the 15a up fitter, you should be good with just 2 x XL80. They’re 5.5a each. LP4’s are 6.5 + 1 each for the side shot illumination. They would be marginal on a 15a circuit best case, without a relay. More than likely, they would blow the fuse eventually without a relay.

I am running my XL80’s without a relay on (’17) up fitter 1, plus a relay trigger for the s8 & lasers.
Glad you got it working

robbys3m3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the gladiator i just got we did 4s on pillars and 6s on the bumper..suckers are bright!

OP
OP
R

robopop

Reaction score
@robopop who did you order this setup from?
Ordered the brackets from SPVSpecialtyPerformanceParts - their service is the best. Make sure you order the heavy duty brackets if you are installing the larger 4” lights.

I have a set of extra SPV a-pillar brackets and 3” rigid radiance lights for sale now if anyone is interested in a deal DM me.