BD LP4 Pro installed on a-pillar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Love my LP4’s. The wiring harnesses Baja Designs lights come with are absolute made in china garbage though. Personally I think they should ship these lights without a harness so you can use the savings toward a quality harness or make your own.

Hey Catinthehat85,

Really appreciate the feedback. We have Lp4 Single's available that do not come with a harness if you will like. When you buy a Lp4 Pair of lights its comes with a free universal harness that will work with the lights. These harnesses are meant to be universal that will go ahead and work with most vehicles. The everyday customer will not know how to make a harness so we try to give something that will work for everyone. We strongly encourage you to make your own harness if you will like or we also have harnesses that connect to the factory switches. Harness Link
Best,
Brahian

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Catinthehat85,

Really appreciate the feedback. We have Lp4 Single's available that do not come with a harness if you will like. When you buy a Lp4 Pair of lights its comes with a free universal harness that will work with the lights. These harnesses are meant to be universal that will go ahead and work with most vehicles. The everyday customer will not know how to make a harness so we try to give something that will work for everyone. We strongly encourage you to make your own harness if you will like or we also have harnesses that connect to the factory switches. Harness Link
Best,
Brahian
First, I love BD lights. Very high quality, if not the best on the market. I’ve owned and own many variations of them, most recently the LP4s on A pillars.

That said, don’t tell us the harnesses come for free. Nothing in this world is free except an STD, and even that usual comes with a price before and a higher one after.

The price of the harness is included in the price of the lights like every other product.

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t intend to drag BD through the mud with my statement so hopefully this topic is laid to rest. It’s pretty rare these days for a company to serve the off-roading community only. The market is too small and wouldn’t support alot of the R&D that goes into most products. That being said, I can understand why they would pair a cheap 10 dollar harness with some of their offerings versus offering nothing. I custom made my own harness with name brand components for a set of 6 LP4’s, and spent over 300 In materials alone.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I didn’t intend to drag BD through the mud with my statement so hopefully this topic is laid to rest. It’s pretty rare these days for a company to serve the off-roading community only. The market is too small and wouldn’t support alot of the R&D that goes into most products. That being said, I can understand why they would pair a cheap 10 dollar harness with some of their offerings versus offering nothing. I custom made my own harness with name brand components for a set of 6 LP4’s, and spent over 300 In materials alone.
Stating fact and truth is not dragging anybody through mud. We all know and respect their quality. They aren’t at or near top of the game for no reason.

It’s just that gobbledygook corporate toeing of the line that sticks in some craw.

Every company, and individual for that matter, has room for improvement.

rlj676

Reaction score
To your 1st question, they are currently on a 15a up fitter. Your 2nd question, they were chewing up the 15a fuses (see pic) in the engine bay fuse box “when using the SPV a-pillar harness which does not have an inline/harness fuse.” Down to my last 15a fuse, I disconnected the SPV a-pillar harness and connected the Baja harness (in the box w/ XL80s) which has an inline fuse/relay connected and have no issues now. After reading John’s posts and watching his harness video, just thought the a-pillar harness would be all that I needed to run the XLs…on switch 2 or 3. It seems I need more than that harness!

I think I have same problem w LP4s I installed today w SPV harness.

They worked, till they didn’t. I can’t even find a fuse diagram that shows where #61 is (or a fuse puller) so I’m pissed at Ford. I assume that’s what it is though, but do you have a link or pic to fuse location for aux 2?

Last , did you get a solution from SPV as the $60 harness should work just fine on 15 amps.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
They worked, till they didn’t. I can’t even find a fuse diagram that shows where #61 is (or a fuse puller) so I’m pissed at Ford. I assume that’s what it is though, but do you have a link or pic to fuse location for aux 2?

What’s the amp rating on up fitter #2?

Because each LP4 is 5.85 amps draw

if it’s a 10amp circuit, then you need a relay.
I know on the ’17, up fitter 2 is a 15A circuit, but not sure about Jen Tres.

If it’s a 15A circuit then you should have a relay, but not strictly necessary. At 5.85 amps, the 2 lights will draw ~11.7 amps. Let’s round up to 12, just to make it simple, it should be enough room for the circuit to work under most ideal conditions; you made a perfect or near perfect ground connection, no severe bends in the wire, no bum connections in the hot side of the circuit.

If however you have a compromised wire or connection, your resistance goes up and the draw will be more.

My LP4’s are on a 15a circuit and work fine, no blown fuses, so if you are blowing fuses on a 15a circuit with just LP4’s, there’s a material or workmanship issue with the installed components. if it’s doing that on a 10A circuit, you’ve got too much on the circuit without a relay.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think I have same problem w LP4s I installed today w SPV harness.

Last , did you get a solution from SPV as the $60 harness should work just fine on 15 amps.
The $60 harness works as advertised. After blowing so many damn fuses, I went back and watched John’s video & that’s when it hit me. Whenever I closed the hood, the hinge (circled in red) was pinching the freak’en harness. Didn’t think it was cause they worked just fine right after I closed the hood. I go for a short drive and back, hit the switch & nothing.

After correcting that, I haven‘t had any problems. As @smurfslayer said, you’ll be fine running the LP4s on aux 2 (15 amp)…no relay needed.

Attachments

• 3A8274DB-572F-469E-ADA1-EC3651B13576.jpeg
    3A8274DB-572F-469E-ADA1-EC3651B13576.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 08556FFB-75CB-404C-A261-3F1C95018074.png
    08556FFB-75CB-404C-A261-3F1C95018074.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
  • 22540DDA-D8BD-47FB-9BAF-F8D4C4166BD0.jpeg
    22540DDA-D8BD-47FB-9BAF-F8D4C4166BD0.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 50

rlj676

Reaction score
What’s the amp rating on up fitter #2?

Because each LP4 is 5.85 amps draw

if it’s a 10amp circuit, then you need a relay.
I know on the ’17, up fitter 2 is a 15A circuit, but not sure about Jen Tres.

If it’s a 15A circuit then you should have a relay, but not strictly necessary. At 5.85 amps, the 2 lights will draw ~11.7 amps. Let’s round up to 12, just to make it simple, it should be enough room for the circuit to work under most ideal conditions; you made a perfect or near perfect ground connection, no severe bends in the wire, no bum connections in the hot side of the circuit.

If however you have a compromised wire or connection, your resistance goes up and the draw will be more.

My LP4’s are on a 15a circuit and work fine, no blown fuses, so if you are blowing fuses on a 15a circuit with just LP4’s, there’s a material or workmanship issue with the installed components. if it’s doing that on a 10A circuit, you’ve got too much on the circuit without a relay.

The $60 harness works as advertised. After blowing so many damn fuses, I went back and watched John’s video & that’s when it hit me. Whenever I closed the hood, the hinge (circled in red) was pinching the freak’en harness. Didn’t think it was cause they worked just fine right after I closed the hood. I go for a short drive and back, hit the switch & nothing.

After correcting that, I haven‘t had any problems. As @smurfslayer said, you’ll be fine running the LP4s on aux 2 (15 amp)…no relay needed.

Thank you both, it is 15a so shouldnt be be the problem. Gives me confidence it’s something I screwed up lol.

Thank you for the fuse location info! The manual doesn’t label all of them, and online the same that I found.

I will just do more checks if my connections and that it’s not pinched by hood. Amazing the little things…

At least the screen came back, after I put battery back I lost the infotainment screen all together for a while, until I got FordPass note I got an OTA so not sure what happened lol.