Battery replace Gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smilodon

Reaction score
Optima Red Top or Interstate. Both have been excellent in our F-Series trucks over the years.

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm still on my factory battery from 2012! I'm probably gonna change it out this coming fall. Still trying to decide if I should just get an OEM replacement or aftermarket.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm still on my factory battery from 2012! I'm probably gonna change it out this coming fall. Still trying to decide if I should just get an OEM replacement or aftermarket.
That’s unbelievable bro! I’m on my 2nd battery, got an oem since the 1st one lasted 7 years and never failed, just preventative maintenance, this one is 4 going on 5. I just don’t trust a battery after 5, lol.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My seven year old Sears Dihard finally bit the dust. Internally shorted, apparently. I read just over 4 volts on my multimeter.
I have an Odyssey Extreme Series group 65 battery on order from Auto Zone. 950 cold cranking amps, tin plated brass posts, $313.99 plus tax. Odyssey part number ODX-AGM65.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My seven year old Sears Dihard finally bit the dust. Internally shorted, apparently. I read just over 4 volts on my multimeter.
I have an Odyssey Extreme Series group 65 battery on order from Auto Zone. 950 cold cranking amps, tin plated brass posts, $313.99 plus tax. Odyssey part number ODX-AGM65.
Auto Zone got my new battery for me the day after I ordered it. Amazing!
Delivered with 12.83 volts.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2014 here. Battery died on road trip and went OEM from dealer in the town I was in. Looks like Optima Red top is legit though if you live in cold areas;

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2014 here. Battery died on road trip and went OEM from dealer in the town I was in. Looks like Optima Red top is legit though if you live in cold areas;

I picked a Glass Mat battery primarily because of its resistance to vibration, which I think is key when off-roading. The cold weather is less of a concern to me because I live in California and our coldest winters get around 45 degrees Fahrenheit.

I really like the Project Farm product comparisons and this one is no exception, I feel this is a really good and fair test across a bunch of batteries. I would have liked to see the Odyssey Extreme in this test, but I think the Diehard Gold is a close comparison.

The Odyssey Extreme carries a premium price so the Diehard Gold might be a good option, but then again, a battery purchase should only be once every 5 years and an extra $100 on that purchase may be excessive but in my personal situation was worth it.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is an oddity. Now that I have my new battery installed, the truck tries to activate the AC/heat blend doors even though everything in the system is OFF.
Does anyone know why it wants to do that now, or how to stop it from doing that?