Battery not charging?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raydulce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read a bunch of battery threads here, but couldn't find the same problem I have. Can anyone throw a few ideas my way?

Earlier this week I ran my hazards and a 12v cigarette adapter strobe light for an hour or two while working (truck off). The battery got down to ~11.5 volts. The truck started and drove just fine when I was done.

On the drive home, the alternator voltage never went above 13 volts which I found strange, since I knew the battery needed a little topping off. My drive home was 1.5 hours.

For days I have continued to receive FordPass alerts that my truck battery is low, and it's in deep sleep. I have no warnings or issues with the the truck though. I left my hood open last night and in the morning (with keys still in the basement) tested my battery voltage. It was at 12.45 volts at rest.

Is there a problem with the battery or charging system? Or is this just a problem with the Ford Pass app?

Attachments

• 20230330_110025.jpg
    20230330_110025.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 16

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
As it has been explained to me before, the vehicle charging system is not meant to bring up a severely depleted battery, only to maintain the charge on a healthy one. If a battery is drained beyond a certain point, an external charger should be used to bring it back to a healthy level. I use the NoCo Genius chargers for that.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd say you have to use a meter yourself at the alternator and check that number. I don't trust the numbers on the dash from the computer system. If that checks out, then it is important to properly test the battery. To do this, I leave it disconnected positive and negative for a few days and take a reading on the battery to watch for a drop every 24 hours. Tough to do if its your only vehicle, but the best way to test a battery.

I have a 2022, and I am on the hunt for a new battery after 10 months of ownership. I get that message every once in a while also but the raptor always starts and is fine. I think there is something up with the batteries from the factory on many of these trucks. I'd rather have a top of the line AGM that I trust in my truck. Just my 2 cents as others have disagreed and prefer the Ford battery.

OP
OP
R

raydulce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the help guys. I know this topic has been beat to heck, but i couldn't find anything in the forums that showed a battery at the proper voltage, yet continued alerts on my phone for "deep sleep'. I'll test the battery today with a load tester.

I guess I'm spoiled from my last truck... My 2500HD could charge a very low battery to full on the same drive home without hesitation. Maybe it's time for me to start researching an aftermarket HO alternator, especially since I'm going to throw in a better stereo system this year!

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Mexico, it ain't "new" & it ain't "mexico"
I appreciate the help guys. I know this topic has been beat to heck, but i couldn't find anything in the forums that showed a battery at the proper voltage, yet continued alerts on my phone for "deep sleep'. I'll test the battery today with a load tester.

I guess I'm spoiled from my last truck... My 2500HD could charge a very low battery to full on the same drive home without hesitation. Maybe it's time for me to start researching an aftermarket HO alternator, especially since I'm going to throw in a better stereo system this year!
Yup... not in that truck anymore! :) Go buy -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DWJD84N/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You likely ran your battery down to something like 10% SOC (state of charge).

Running this low damages our batteries.

Use a smart charger like the Victron, per CTK’s Amazon link. Get the 15 amp version, not the 5 amp.

Put the Victron on your battery and let the charger run a full cycle. Depending on what shape your battery was in prior to your last “light fest”, you might get some capacity back.

Best of luck!

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t think the alternator is the issue it’s just the battery. Just get a new yellow top or similar and I’m pretty sure we would never see these messages ever again. I’ll update the forum when I get mine.