Battery keeps draining Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been encountering the same condition over the last few weeks. Thanks for asking the question, because I thought it was time for me to replace the 4 year old Motorcraft OEM battery. I charge it up and overnight the % will go down to 60-65%. When the truck is on, the battery charges right back up to over 90%.....I monitor it with my Schumacher digital charger.

OP
OP
FP_RPTR

FP_RPTR

Reaction score
I've been encountering the same condition over the last few weeks. Thanks for asking the question, because I thought it was time for me to replace the 4 year old Motorcraft OEM battery. I charge it up and overnight the % will go down to 60-65%. When the truck is on, the battery charges right back up to over 90%.....I monitor it with my Schumacher digital charger.
Still didn't get a solution ... I cud have a parasitic drain but I haven't taken it back since I already paid $160 for nothing .... I would hate to do that again .

But I have been driving it every day lately so no issues.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still didn't get a solution ... I cud have a parasitic drain but I haven't taken it back since I already paid $160 for nothing .... I would hate to do that again .

But I have been driving it every day lately so no issues.
Same here. My battery goes down to 55%-65% from what I see on the Schumacher, but within a minute or so of starting it up, it's back up to 95%-100%. Voltage never drops down below 12V. When I have it running, Cobb says it's anywhere from 12.5 - 13.6V

OP
OP
FP_RPTR

FP_RPTR

Reaction score
Same here. My battery goes down to 55%-65% from what I see on the Schumacher, but within a minute or so of starting it up, it's back up to 95%-100%. Voltage never drops down below 12V. When I have it running, Cobb says it's anywhere from 12.5 - 13.6V
Yeah due to the flooding in California still driving it daily so no issues.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Willie…if you are talking about voltage that you see on a gauge after startup, what you are seeing is what the alternator is providing to the battery. You are not seeing what the battery’s SOC (state of charge) is.

Voltage reads higher than actual when charging and lower than actual under load.

There’s a fancy term for this that escapes me at the moment.

FYI the best way to test is with a multimeter on a battery at rest, usually 24 hours after it gets fully charged.

Last edited:

Strollem

Reaction score
Don't know if you've seen this. I have the same problem, waking up to a dead battery.

Same problem as you.

Apparently I got a lemon. Started with water in the frame back in 2018 (got the interior carpet wet / moldy - was a total mess), that was the only thing they covered under warranty. Then came random turn signal issue, ended up having to replace entire mirror assembly ($500, I think). Panaromic roof - grinding / snapping / stopped operating. They had to replace the thing (iirc $1k).. the list goes on.

Going to get it up to *****, and sell it. Never buying another Ford.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't know if you've seen this. I have the same problem, waking up to a dead battery.

Same problem as you.

Apparently I got a lemon. Started with water in the frame back in 2018 (got the interior carpet wet / moldy - was a total mess), that was the only thing they covered under warranty. Then came random turn signal issue, ended up having to replace entire mirror assembly ($500, I think). Panaromic roof - grinding / snapping / stopped operating. They had to replace the thing (iirc $1k).. the list goes on.

Going to get it up to *****, and sell it. Never buying another Ford.
This is your first post?

You’re welcome to introduce yourself in the new member’s section first.