battery issue maybe ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
with my fluke voltmeter at the battery ,I actually figured it out , new battery was at 75 percent charge ,I charged it to 100 percent and it stays pegged at 14.5 running .
...You need to reset BMS as the truck has to learn that you installed a new battery or else charging will be happening using wrong parameters based on your old battery (not doing it will cause various issues if BMS is enabled, BMS actually knows the age of your battery in days and various other parameters). Your service dealer can do that for you or you can DYI (using Forscan & OBD2 scanner Forscan compatible and a Windows laptop - really long story here but it could be worth going this route if you are the DYI type) In my opinion you gave up a bit too fast on your old battery (the average AGM lifespan is 5 years and seems that they can go for 8 years if properly maintained). Anyway, is nothing wrong with getting a new battery. :) Ford has a "smart" charging system and they do recommend getting replacement batteries similar with the original or the system parameters will need to be reconfigured to work with the new battery type. I assume your truck had an AGM Motorcraft battery (depends on the options you got). If you charge an AGM battery with an external charger, the charger has to have the AGM mode and you should not connect the charger directly to the negative battery terminal if it has BMS. Also it takes 8+ hours of "sleep" (doors have to be locked, the engine off not even get close with the keyfob if the truck has IA) for the truck to actually detect the new state of charge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the cable and downloaded for scan . does bms show up on for scan ,clear as day ,or is it under bcm module .I assume u just click on it and it I could reset it correct ? wanted to get for scan for awhile now I have an excuse lol

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
...To reset BMS it should be a separate Service Procedure (go for the wrench button on the left). You may also need to license your Forscan in order to do it (not entirely sure on that, I just licensed my copy as soon as I installed the software on my computer). Lots of battery parameters are in BCM. You can find now real-time what your truck does regarding the battery (Battery age, Volts, Amps, SOC, etc). Have FUN! :)

*****IMPORTANT***** BEFORE you start changing parameters do not forget to save all the original parameters for ALL modules and save copies of them on multiple locations (external drives, thumb drives). :)

Last edited: