BassHead Options? High SPL Possible? Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is rifle shot at the muzzle territory and great ... if you want to be like the old, retired, loud pipes HD riders.

Ever try to have a conversation with one? Ever notice you’re repeating yourself several times? Exposure to this level of sound for more than a couple of seconds results in subtle, cumulative hearing loss. It’s difficult to notice because it happens gradually so be careful with this volume of sound.

Unless you’re firing off the stereo remotely, or using it to punish potential thieves. That would be cool, come to think of it.
You are talking to one right here lmao. I had a truck as a 16 yr old kid that produced 160db+ at the wall (rear section of 4x4 4 door Blazer) and over 155db legal at 40-44hz back in the late 1990’s before such goals were easy. It took multiple efforts being that it was a dual purpose setup, both Sound Quality and SPL.

Riding 5 people deep for hours at a time cruising country roads at full tilt was an every day activity so yes my hearing is more than just a little damaged. “Huh” is a word I am constantly repeating if I am not able to see ones lips during some conversations that have ample background noise. Do I regret it, no. Should I have worn earplugs and been a little more careful with the volume and extended periods of listening, of course. We only live once and BASS has been one of my hobbies so to speak since I was a pre teen with custom Home Stereo then Auto Stereo, and now Home Theater.

My 18’ x 35’ x 12’ Home Theater room has the craziest amount of bass I’ve ever witnessed (over 145db across multiple octaves, 24” and 21” 38mm long throw drivers for 1-40Hz, 18” pro custom pro drivers for 40Hz-120Hz, and 12” drivers for 120Hz upwards that pass off onto the speakers) but it’s only played loud like that for short demos. And I only watch movies at above “reference” levels so the loud bass scenes in movies are generally very short but extremely dynamic. I don’t sit in there and blast music for hours at a time at stupid spl levels like I did as a kid; although, I will play a song or two as demos for people that want the experience. Experiencing a rather large room at high SPL is totally different than sitting in a car and there is just something about it that is freakishly engaging to us BassHeads.

It just never gets old even after it’s literally beaten the crap out of one’s ears to the point that it’s more than just noticeable. My wife makes fun of me all the time and she’s a physician but always in good faith or messing with me. It’s not like I need a hearing aide but refuse to wear one.

Bests
Alex

OP
OP
A

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont think you can get 150db in the truck without losing more space than just under the seats. 150db is a pretty high goal in a truck unless you want to cut through the bed, or lose the rear seat altogether. we are also a dealer for audiomobile and i have 2 of the evo 10s in my truck. i speak with the owner of audiomobile on a somewhat normal basis in regards to the technical stuff that i wont get into. 2 of the evo 10 subwoofers get to about 128db. 4 might get you to 135db but the question is, where you going to fit them? you need to decide what you are willing to give up. there are louder subwoofers on the market, but they will require more airspace. either way, you will have to give up something in order to achieve 150db.
Yea I know it would be hard to reach 145db and that’s why I wanted to reach out and see if it would be possible. 150db would be icing on the cake!!!

I haven’t been in auto spl ring in over 18-19 years (I do still have two very old dinasuar 15” Punch Power drivers in a vented enclosure in the back of a work Blazer that reach over 145db) but figured something like this wouldn’t be totally out of question. There is room for at minimum 4 10s under the seat which has been established plus at least 2-3 more behind the seat. That’s quite a bit of driver surface area.

Now if could fit 12” drivers with some xmax/power handling and only lose the space for one or two drivers then would be even better. I don’t see why it would be too crazy to fit two 12” drivers behind the seats with a little creativity. But maybe there just isn’t room for drivers with much of a motor to handle power.

That’s why I was asking if anyone has the actual dimensions that are possible with seat relocation brackets. It would give me a much clearer picture of what type of spaces there is to work with back there.

Bests
Alex

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a picture of the box from one of the trucks for a example. You have to do the seat lift also.

View attachment 286363
Yea that just “looks” like there is room for 12” drivers based on the enclosure dimensions…. That’s where I’m getting my ideas. Just because there is physical room for them doesn’t mean that they would work in that small of an enclosure though.

That’s why I posted though. I’ve been out of the auto stereo game for about two decades pretty much. I had my old installer do a sound quality install in my Nissan GTR back 10 years ago but that was weak sauce in the bass department so much so that I was laughing when I first sat in it after he calibrated it. I kinda felt bad for him but he knew my background…..

I just don’t know what all is possible with today’s tech with motor design, xmax vs depth or motors, air space vs power handling, etc… Back in the day before all the huge motors there were quite a few drivers that could take a crap ton of power in super small enclosures.

Now when I browse around it seems like not many drivers have much xmax at all unless they have an extremely large motor. The motor size is going to be limited with any driver facing up or down under the rear seats that’s a given but just seems like there ought to be something. But, maybe not…

If ten inch drivers could fit facing forward/backward under the rear seat then the motor size could go up which would be a great thing. All the prefabbed enclosures for forward facing drivers are 6.5” or 8” and I’ll stay far away from drivers that size unless they are in the door or center console lol.

Bests
Alex

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Forget behind the seat, unless you are planning to remount the seat pretty far forward. I have a 6 1/2" Skar EVL behind my seat, WITH a relocating kit, and there is just enough room to fold the seat. The rear seat articulates when it folds, so there is much less room than you think.

OP
OP
A

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget behind the seat, unless you are planning to remount the seat pretty far forward. I have a 6 1/2" Skar EVL behind my seat, WITH a relocating kit, and there is just enough room to fold the seat. The rear seat articulates when it folds, so there is much less room than you think.
So are these shallow mount enclosures for the JL and Fosgate 10” and 12” drivers for behind the seat lies?

They have about the same mounting depth as your Skar so maybe they are doable.

Which seat relocation bracket did you go with?

I’m ok with sacrificing driver style for behind the seats with a shallow mounted type but just thinking that whatever goes under the seat may need to be more of a conventional style driver with higher power handling. With a fabricated fiberglass enclosure it “looks” like could fit at a minimum of 6 large motor 8” subs firing forward but I could be wrong. The contours of the floor could only allow for the 6.5” facing forward when use 6 of them.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So are these shallow mount enclosures for the JL and Fosgate 10” and 12” drivers for behind the seat lies?

They have about the same mounting depth as your Skar so maybe they are doable.

Which seat relocation bracket did you go with?

I’m ok with sacrificing driver style for behind the seats with a shallow mounted type but just thinking that whatever goes under the seat may need to be more of a conventional style driver with higher power handling. With a fabricated fiberglass enclosure it “looks” like could fit at a minimum of 6 large motor 8” subs firing forward but I could be wrong. The contours of the floor could only allow for the 6.5” facing forward when use 6 of them.
Here's the spec on my box.
Product Dimensions
Width14.25"
Depth5.25"
Height9.875"

I used the LMI Welding Straight Ahead kit, it moves the seat 2" forward. https://lmiwelding.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2
It's called the 1520SA kit. They make another one that will lift the seat 2,5", and the site says you can use both together.

With moving the seat 2" forward AND cutting the carpet and insulation away so all I have is my second skin matting left, there is just enough room.
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/installed-lmi-seat-relo-2-straight-ahead.78845/#post-1620117

Here's a pic of the Skar with the seat in stock position.

IMG_8346.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two jl 13tw5 with a audio control 1200/1 it works and sounds great

Can you bottom out the drivers with that amp? Are you able to run them at 1200 watts per driver? The 13tw5’s are like 600 wrms or little more so would need around 1200 watts per driver of peak power.

Any idea what your SPLs are just from those two? You have them under the seat or behind?

Bests
Alex

LAbikerboy

Reaction score
i dont think you can get 150db in the truck without losing more space than just under the seats. 150db is a pretty high goal in a truck unless you want to cut through the bed, or lose the rear seat altogether. we are also a dealer for audiomobile and i have 2 of the evo 10s in my truck. i speak with the owner of audiomobile on a somewhat normal basis in regards to the technical stuff that i wont get into. 2 of the evo 10 subwoofers get to about 128db. 4 might get you to 135db but the question is, where you going to fit them? you need to decide what you are willing to give up. there are louder subwoofers on the market, but they will require more airspace. either way, you will have to give up something in order to achieve 150db.
Hi, I just blew out 2 12 tw1 in my truck, under seat firing down. I'm not upset because I felt they were too weak anyway. It sounded great but sometimes I like to show off lol. I'm debating between upgrading to 2 tw3 12s, 2 13.5 tw5, or the audio mobile stuff because it keeps popping up as something to take serious. They aren't available or known at the shop I go to, I'm in Long Beach California. I'm running a rd1500 amp I had in a camaro with 2 12 type R subs that I loved but obviously they didn't fit in my truck. Does audio mobile offer 12s? I don't want to get rid of the box I already have that's why I'm leaning towards the tw3s, or should I consider it whether it be these or those?