Baofeng or ETekCity UV-5R programming instructions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
all the links work again @Slacker . THANK YOU. it took me a couple tries but i got it!

i did get this error message after it finished but i seem to have all the channels so i think im good....?

IMG_20140910_194928326_HDR_zps68e17qug.jpg

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
tried upload again and got the same message. im thinking im good. all the channels are there.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

here is the radio i got. i think it has a different antenna connection than the older models. anyone get a better antenna for it yet, if so which one? any benefit to a bigger antenna?

Last edited:

SVT_Mayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone with OSX 10.9 have the correct driver? Have the cable that amazon recommended and have installed about 5 different drivers and still nothing. When I plug the radio in the mic light lights up red but radio does not show up in disk utility. Also chirp is installed and runs fine.

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
Anyone with OSX 10.9 have the correct driver? Have the cable that amazon recommended and have installed about 5 different drivers and still nothing. When I plug the radio in the mic light lights up red but radio does not show up in disk utility. Also chirp is installed and runs fine.

I have this cable and used the drivers on the Prolific website. (http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/supportindex.aspx?id=7 Can't seem to hyperlink.)

Use "guest" as the account and password. The driver I used was: md_PL2303_MacOSX-10.6up_v1.5.1.zip.

Seems to have worked although "settings were not uploaded due to different firmware to IMG file" or something as above.

Last edited:

Jag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Initial Frequency Load Baofeng UV-5R.img" off the Dropbox link is not in a recognized file format. Is there another list that can be downloaded?

OP
OP
Slacker

Slacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Download the file, open the programming software, then open the file from it. That is the right file.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
all the links work again @Slacker . THANK YOU. it took me a couple tries but i got it!

i did get this error message after it finished but i seem to have all the channels so i think im good....?

IMG_20140910_194928326_HDR_zps68e17qug.jpg

Newer firmware on the radio than the chirp file. Gotta keep the freq file current with firmware or you could have TX issues.