Bank 1 sensor 1 constant fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roush2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the past couple of months I've been having an issue with a cel on and running rough feels like a misfire but no codes set for the misfire. Back in December one morning on the way to work my light came on after we had a big snow storm. The night before in the snow I had driven maybe 50 miles with no issues the truck ran great. Brought it to work and scanned it coming up with bank 1 sensor 1 codes P2195, P0135, P2626. So I replaced that sensor with a bosch one from Advance auto. Light out drove it home. Next morning on the way to work light comes back on and I can tell it's not running quite right. The cel starts flashing but I'm only a mile from work so I'm hoping I can make it. About 10 seconds later the light stops flashing and I continue to work. Scan again, same codes come up except now there is a P0302 misfire code. I'm thinking there has to be something wrong so my mechanic and I pinout the wires on the harness from the computer and the ground and power wires are reading properly. Check bank 2 just to be sure too and same readings. So I order a sensor from the dealership down the street. Put it in, added a can of BG 44K to the gas, and run to the gas station and fill up with 93. Running great and drive for 2 weeks. This brings be to yesterday. On the way to work light back on again and about 1 minute later I can tell it's running rough and starts surging. Get it to work and scan it. Come up with P0131 and P2195 again. Now I'm getting irritated so I call my buddy Dan from Livernois and he remotely wipes out my programming on Mycalibrator touch from my other f150 so I can datalog and read the codes with it. Now this is where it gets weird. On my way home last night I get a code for bank 1 sensor 1 stuck lean and datalogging the wide band gets stuck at 1.998. Clear the code and start it...same thing. This morning on the way to work it's driving like crap and I notice bank 1 reading are erratic and all over the place. Now bank 2 is always reading anywhere from .800 to 1.1 or so right in there. I notice then that the sensor reading goes to 0.00 and is stuck on rich but then the truck started driving better. CEL comes back on and is reading the sensor is stuck rich. SOOOOOOOOOOOO I order another sensor from the dealership after we looked for vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks, fuel pump driver malfunction, canister purge valve stuck, and pulled the harness out of the pcm and blew it off. Start the truck after doing that and still 0.00 reading on bank 1. So without changing anything I let the cat cool off enough to get in there and swap out the sensor for another new dealer one and start it. Reading perfect. Drove it for a while and it reads .800 to 1.1 or so right in line with bank 2. My fear is something is causing these sensors to go bad. This is now the 4th (including the factory original one) one that has been in there. Doesn't make any sense and I'm wondering if anyone else has ever had anything like this happen? I scared it's going to happen again.

Thanks

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
R

Roush2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s what we were thinking too was a shorted wire. Can’t find anywhere along the harness that would indicate that. If it happens again I’ll ohm between the harness at the pcm and then where the o2 plug is at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good plan. Not sure what that harness looks like but I think if it was mine and it failed again I'd consider replacing/rewiring the harness, I'm sure you're aware wires can test and even look fine but be severed inside the insulation or at the crimp/solder connector pin causing those intermittent nightmare scenarios. Hope you get it sorted if it happens again!

OP
OP
R

Roush2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it did it again this morning. Pulled out of the driveway and noticed the o2 bank 1 was stuck lean. Drove it to work which is about 5 miles and about a mile from work the sensor started dropping and went to .649 and it started stumbling and wouldn’t accelerate. Like it has a misfire but it’s not. Then went lean again and stayed there.

Pulled it in the shop and now I’m pissed. I unplugged the sensor and blew the connector out, same thing when I started it. Then I unplugged the battery took the pcm harness and blew that out. Same thing. Checked again for vacuum leaks. Then I pulled the maf sensor off and cleaned it out, changed the purge valve (just because it’s so common to cause problems), Did a fuel trim relearn, started the truck and bam sensors reading properly. Drove for about 20 miles and no issues it drove great and didn’t throw any codes. Now I’m not convinced the purge valve did it but who knows. I’m happy tonight guess I’ll see what tomorrow brings.

The thing that gets me is p0131 came up again for o2 sensor voltage low. That’s what’s baffling me as to why the voltage is is being seen as low. If it continues it’s going to Livernois they are the geniuses that can figure it out.

Btw if you don’t have a mycalibrator touch from them....it’s well worth it with the live data it can monitor

OP
OP
R

Roush2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it did it again this morning. Pulled out of the driveway and noticed the o2 bank 1 was stuck lean. Drove it to work which is about 5 miles and about a mile from work the sensor started dropping and went to .649 and it started stumbling and wouldn’t accelerate. Like it has a misfire but it’s not. Then went lean again and stayed there.

Pulled it in the shop and now I’m pissed. I unplugged the sensor and blew the connector out, same thing when I started it. Then I unplugged the battery took the pcm harness and blew that out. Same thing. Checked again for vacuum leaks. Then I pulled the maf sensor off and cleaned it out, changed the purge valve (just because it’s so common to cause problems), Did a fuel trim relearn, started the truck and bam sensors reading properly. Drove for about 20 miles and no issues it drove great and didn’t throw any codes. Now I’m not convinced the purge valve did it but who knows. I’m happy tonight guess I’ll see what tomorrow brings.

The thing that gets me is p0131 came up again for o2 sensor voltage low. That’s what’s baffling me as to why the voltage is is being seen as low. If it continues it’s going to Livernois they are the geniuses that can figure it out.

Btw if you to have a mycalibrator touch from them....it’s well worth it with the live data it can monitor

OP
OP
R

Roush2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aaaand it did it again this morning

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You got an electrical gremlin. Little bastards come and go as they please. Here's hoping it's a wire and not electronic (PCM).

OP
OP
R

Roush2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got an electrical gremlin. Little bastards come and go as they please. Here's hoping it's a wire and not electronic (PCM).

Yes I’d say so. Checked plugs and injectors today. My guys are convinced it’s a pcm. Now it’s not throwing any other code except for 2626 so it’s definitely going to Livernois on Saturday