Banging when putting in reverse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVGH

Reaction score
I have an intermittent problem. Occasionally, when putting into reverse, it will violently bang, the whole truck jerks. It is not idling high, no foot on the gas or anything. Sometimes same day or following day, the problem goes away. Get about once a month or so.

Ideas? Hate to put it in the dealership for what will likely be an extended period. The service departments are still really slow in this area. But, likely what I will have to do.

James O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was doing the same thing. I think they had to pull the pan and change something in there.
I didnt get any paperwork with the warranty.

Rep732

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the problem is intermittent but did you see if the banging was there If the truck was in 4 wheel high?if you put it in 4 I'm only saying as it seems to be slop in the rear diff which is excessive lash and thats what your hearing or you have a bad u joint. If you have excessive backlash in the pinion when the trans goes from drive to reverse the pinion takes up the lash in the opposite direction and if its too much that's where you'll get that bad clunk. Any noticeable vibrations while driving at normal highway speeds? Do you hear a growl or whine when either on or off the gas besides tire noise? If you jack the back up with the front tires chocked of course and if you rock the drive shaft back and forth and hear a bad clunk im gunna say you have a bad pinion or carrier bearing.Let us know!

Last edited:

beardo51

Reaction score
I didn’t think it made a difference, changing gear is changing gear, isnt that what the valve body does whether your moving or sitting still ?

Fyatrk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had that with my 17 brought it to the dealership for a Transmission Reprograming

OP
OP
LVGH

LVGH

Reaction score
Thanks all. Yes, it happens when stationary and putting it in reverse. Like I said, no high idle speed or anything. Just feels like you are putting in gear with a torque converter locked up or something. It is most definitely a different feel than normal! Truck jumps and everything. I think like Fyatrk said, I suspect a transmission reprogramming is in order. Earlier had a problem with a very lazy 3 to 4 upshift, they reprogrammed it and it went away. I am worried that since it is intermittent, it won't act up and they will say everything is fine. However, since these transmissions seem a little flaky and the programming is poor, they will go ahead and reprogram anyway.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look it up on YouTube. It seems to be related to the TCM. Cobb accessport tuner fixes it for them.